Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Because of the amount of money involved it would only be prudent that you do a little investigative work.

I suggest you start out by contacting the Shareowners Investor Services for Exxon and explain your dilema. They may have a tracking of your account from day one and be able to provide you with the gross amount of reinvested dividends to add to your original cost.

If this doesn't work ask them for the history of the dividend payout rate and the share price reinvested dividends were issued at.(for the period of time you need). You could then reconstruct your cost for the reinvested dividends that was reported on your tax return for the 26 year period. You need to take into account stock splits when you format your spread sheet.

This is obviously some work but the effort will substantially reduce the capital gains amount.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.