Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WayneOwl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5085  
Subject: Re: Doing It .... Date: 8/8/2005 8:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Erik ........

As the British say: "Some questions are not asked in polite society"...:-). Therefore I can respond to your first one only in relative terms.

As to the second, my only Real Estate is my home and otherwise I am 100% in equities ..... about half of which could be termed 'high yield'.
75% is in tax-deferred accounts.

I view my home as an expense rather than an investment since I have to live somewhere. One of my assumptions is that both property value and cost-of-living inflation will rise at their long-term averages of 3%. At some point I suppose I may monetize the asset but I did not include that in my calculations for 'required income'. Otherwise, the equity will simply go to my heirs and for disposal of my earthly remains.

I used the same annual 3% COLA for all other expenses.

Several years ago I arrived at a target of requiring gain-generating assets of 15 times my 'living expenses' as the point at which I could retire. I used the following factors/criteria.

At age 60, a pension will kick in and pay 20% of the living expenses. Unfortunately, it is non-indexed so its impact will degrade over time. At age 65 an indexed old-age security plan will kick in and cover an additional 15%.

Obviously, the gap between retirement age and pension age is important. The longer that period of no 'wages' income, the better the average performance of this next section must be to make up for it. I formulated the plan at age 50. My initial target was age 56 but that slipped to age (almost) 58.

By the way, it was relatively simple to lay out an Excel spreadsheet for investigating various scenarios. "Life expectancy" gave rise to mixed emotions as it is really not much fun considering one's personal demise ...:-)

Considering my health and geneology, I settled on age 82.

If I can generate an average of 6.67% in pre-tax ROI, then I will go to meet my Maker leaving behind only the 'house' to which I referred previously.

If I can do 8.5% in pre-tax ROI, then I will depart with about the same number of dollars that I had on Retirement Day.

Over the last 7 years I have never generated an investment gain of less than 8%. One year I achieved over 41%. Therefore, with more time now to devote to the cause, I believe that the plan is conservative and do-able.

Wayne

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement