Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just received a large check from the state for 'property' they have been holding for me. Mostly non-delivered dividend checks and one chunk of money from a stock sale (which at this point I am so happy they sold). Will these amounts get reported on my 2009 return as dividends and stock sold, or will I need to amend the returns for the years that the state either received the dividends (or when I should have gotten them) or they sold the stock?
(some goes back 10 years, getting the proper papers and proof of addresses to satisfy the state was not simple.)

My life will be simplest if I can report them as 2009 income!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.