No. of Recommendations: 1
((((((Especially, how do I do it using IRA/401K funds?))))))

I am not familiar with the rules governing offshore accounts, so obviously I can't comment on them. As for "conventional" international investing—that is, buying shares in a US mutual fund company's global or international funds—I can say that there is a tax issue that you and your accountant should consider.

One problem with keeping foreign investments in retirement (nontaxable) accounts is that, in most cases, you lose the benefit of the foreign tax credit. Investors who keep their foreign investments in regular (taxable) accounts can use the foreign tax credit to offset income from other sources. This credit, however, is not available to nontaxable accounts.

For IRAs or 401ks with large account balances, the lost foreign tax credit can, in some cases, be significant. In such cases, you may decide that your are better off keeping the international investments out of your retirement accounts. On the other hand, for diversification or other reasons, you may decide it would be worthwhile to overlook the lost credit and keep the investments within your retirement account. Again, talk to your accountant.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.