UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726233  
Subject: Re: Yes! Do it! Date: 9/4/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Especially if you're a bad tipper ;0).

Hmmm... I remember my wife leaving a ridiculously small tip at a restaurant in Ann Arbor before our card number was stolen. I normally do the tip math but this restaurant had a play area for kids and my son wanted to go out and play so I went out with him and my wife paid using our debit card. After we left I looked at the receipt and noted A. how incredibly expensive the meal was (over $70!) and B. how my wife left only $3 for a tip. Math wasn't her strong suit before her brain injury, things haven't improved since then of course so I probably shouldn't have let her handle the bill but, well, other things were on my mind (such as making sure my son didn't get kidnapped/hurt/fondled/whatever) and, well, it is what it is.

But I can see how the server would have been rather upset, and he did have our number. Though he wouldn't have had our address and whomever stole our number had that (they used it to buy things online where you generally have to include your address as a verification) so perhaps that wasn't it.

At any rate, paying directly from my iPhone wouldn't put any of that at risk as the iPhone is encrypted. They're so secure in fact that the NSA is whining that they can't crack them (each phone has AES-256 encryption hard wired into them and you only get ten attempts to break the code before the phone wipes itself, which is far fewer than the thousands to billions of attempts needed depending on the length of the code). There are ways around it but they're very costly and time-intensive, something your run-of-the-mill identity thief won't bother with (given that our own government can barely do it!)

As long as the phone is encrypted and the signal is secure using an app on a phone to pay is incredibly safe. No store employees would have access to any of the account info used to pay at all. The only place it would be stored is in the app and on the server, making it far less likely that they'll be stolen (it's possible, but far fewer people would be able to do it than if you used your actual card or wrote an actual check which, again, anyone at the store/restaurant could have access to theoretically).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement