Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MarinBMWZ4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: Depreciation Date: 4/23/2008 10:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Essentially, for someone with no postive income form the rental, is the sole benefit of carrying depriation losses forward that of offsetting appreciation gains when time to sell, creating a wash?
--------------
OK. It's real simple, so don't try to make it more complicated that it should be.

1. You own a "rental property" and you have established your "basis" (the cost of the property less the land portion) when the property is put into service (this is a private home turned rental, not a straight investment purchase).

2. You rent the home for the market rate. This is your income.

3. You then have expenses, such as insurance, that is totaled up on your schedule E.

4. You have a fixed annual depreciation amount that is calculated on a 27.5 year term from the "basis" number you established. (I won't get into the other property in the home that can be depreciated at a different "schedule - i.e. term).

5. You add ALL these numbers together, and IF, it is over $25,000 you carry forward the amount over $25,000 (think of it like a safe deposit box and it's Sunday and you can't get in the vault - it's still there) into the future until 1 or more of many things happen where you can use that "carried forward" amount. {you have less than $25,000 in deductions on the schedule E, you sell the property, you do a 1031 exchange,, etc. etc.)

6. You subtract (dollar for dollar) the amount up to $25,000 from your normal taxable income - your work money. This reduces your tax due. This is very important. You are paying less tax.

7. This $25,000 high limit is adjusted DOWN as your taxable income goes up, at some point you cannot deduct any of the $25,000. You are now carrying forward $25,000 or more. I am carrying forward over $50,000 in "losses" that I can apply when appropriate.

These LOSSES have been generated by my tenants paying my mortgages as the property value goes up while I have leveraged my down payment to create the losses (paper) and gains (appreciation).

This is rental property income / losses / benefits.

I know that this is a simplified outline and there are many nuances and situations that can substantially affect the outcome and the benefits. Each deal is different. Each tax benefit is different. etc.

MZ4
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement