UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: noho Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75540  
Subject: Estate Planning Date: 5/22/2001 7:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good evening all,

Does anybody know of a good website or book about estate planning, mimimizing taxes etc.?( Massachusetts) We will be going to see a lawyer but don't know what questions to ask. I was hoping to read up beforehand.

Any help much appreciated.

Noho
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29852 of 75540
Subject: Re: Estate Planning Date: 5/22/2001 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Noho,

Does anybody know of a good website or book about estate planning, mimimizing taxes etc.?( Massachusetts) We will be going to see a lawyer but don't know what questions to ask. I was hoping to read up beforehand.

This isn't directly responsive to your query, but I just wanted to point out that perhaps more important than the questions you want to ask the attorney would be, the questions he/she will need to ask you.

You need to have in mind what assets you have, and to whom you would want them to go. If you have a spouse, that will certainly affect your planning. If you have children, either from your current spouse or otherwise, or plan to have children in the future, this will be very important.

Maybe you have already done this, and have categorized your accounts into qualified and non-qualified, and have figured out what you want to do based on "who dies first", etc., and what you mean by "what questions to ask" is just, "How can we make this happen?"

Indidentally, if you don't currently have a will, one exercise (if you have time) might be to find out how your estate would be handled if you were to die without a will. Then you can react to that -- it could be a "starting place" for deciding what you want to change, or maybe it will be something you can react to, and make a list of the things you definitely would want to make sure do NOT happen. But I tried a web search for "stirpes massachusetts" and didn't find anything very hlepful. Maybe you could look for "intestate massachusetts" instead and have better luck.

HTH,
Phooley in Phoenix

Author: rclyde One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29855 of 75540
Subject: Re: Estate Planning Date: 5/22/2001 9:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
Does anybody know of a good website or book about estate planning..

Suggest you post on the Estate Planning and Fools board.
Just enter Estate Planning in the board search at the bottom of this page...Good luck!

Author: noho Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29971 of 75540
Subject: Re: Estate Planning Date: 5/29/2001 4:07 PM
Recommendations: 0
Many thanks, phooley and rclyde and all on this board who are so kind to take some time to help with advice. We are going to see a lawyer on Thursday and now at least I know where to begin with all this. Another Fool suggested nolopress.com which was terrific for basics.

with gratitude,

Noho

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement