Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockbull Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Estate Tax Planning & Deductions Date: 12/13/2000 12:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently incurred Legal Fees as a result of Estate Tax Planning and the drawing up of Trusts. My question is:

What percentage of the legal fee's can I deduct from my income taxes? For example, can I take 50% of the total amount charged by the Attorney and take that amount off my taxes as a miscellaneous deduction subject to the 2% rule?

I understand that legal expenses incurred for Tax Planning are a deductible expense. However, the IRS Pubs are not very clear in this area. Also, the Attorney didn't separate his fee into Tax Planning and the preparation of the Trusts.

Can anyone give me some insight on how to handle this matter?

Stock Bull
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mplynch One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43532 of 121219
Subject: Re: Estate Tax Planning & Deductions Date: 12/28/2000 1:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ask the attorney to provide a breakdown.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement