UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129282  
Subject: estimate drywall cost? Date: 3/31/2008 1:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
We are in the process of building a "cabin" (more like a home). We wondered how to determine how much it should cost us to hire a professional to hang drywall. Are there any formulas? The home is about 1700 sq ft. with 9 ft. walls. The garage is about 120 sq. ft.

Thanks,
Payitoff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 5000fingers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94520 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 3/31/2008 9:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Construction labor costs vary widely by region. Have you tried calling some drywall contractors in your area?

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94540 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 3/31/2008 9:34 PM
Hi,
Yes we have contacted one so far and we were speechless. We were quoted $14,000 for drywall and $6400 for priming and painting. This is a small town in Colorado. Another $1800 for the ceiling. Thoughts? We are looking into other companies now. Are there any websites to help us determine costs?

Payitoff

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94541 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 3/31/2008 9:45 PM
<<Hi,
Yes we have contacted one so far and we were speechless. We were quoted $14,000 for drywall and $6400 for priming and painting. This is a small town in Colorado. Another $1800 for the ceiling. Thoughts? We are looking into other companies now. Are there any websites to help us determine costs?

Payitoff
>>

Bush must be doing more about stemming the flow of illegals than I was aware of.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94542 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 3/31/2008 10:36 PM
<Bush must be doing more about stemming the flow of illegals than I was aware of.

Seattle Pioneer >

Hi,
I'm not sure how to "read" this. Does that mean this sounds like a very high bid? We're new to this and were shocked with this bid. Maybe we're just comparing our pay to what we are expected to pay out.
Payitoff

Author: anniesdad Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94547 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/1/2008 7:23 AM
I'm not sure how to "read" this. Does that mean this sounds like a very high bid? We're new to this and were shocked with this bid. Maybe we're just comparing our pay to what we are expected to pay out.

Payitoff,

Drywall contractors charge by the sq ft. Measure your sq footage to get a handle on the labor/ material cost. (A 4'x8' sheet of drywall is 32 sq ft.) I've no idea what the going rate is in your area.

Scott

Author: EarlyToRise Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94551 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/1/2008 10:02 AM
I've no idea what the going rate is in your area.

Check out this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/basements/msg0517261010303.html

I agree with the posters on this other site. In the ballpark of $1 per square foot, hung and finished, is not too far out of bounds. You may be able to find someone who can do it for less, but be warned a really good drywall crew's work is significantly better than a mediocre one's.

Painting should be dirt cheap in the current housing environment. You could hire a decent crew of 6 persons for a couple of days for a few thousand dollars. Provide them the paint, and just point them in the right direction.

ETR

Author: ChuckAmos One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94556 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/1/2008 2:52 PM
Just for an example...in Central Virginia, new conwstruction...
we are paying around $.67/ sq ft of drywall. That's $32.00/board (48 sq ft). All inclusive = all materials, installed, finished, and cleanup. NOT PAINTED

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Chuck

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94560 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/1/2008 10:06 PM
Buck a sq foot as another poster mentioned is sometimes tossed around. That's sq foot of drywall.

If you have say on average 8 rooms in the home, averaging 14' X 15' it would total approx. 1700 sq. foot (rounded up for illustrative purposes).

You say your garage is 120 sq foot, but that sounds small.

Here goes. 8 rooms averaging 14' X 15' makes a running total of 464 linear feet. Add that to the total linear feet of a 10' X 12' garage (44) and you get 708 linear feet.

708 linear feet X's 9 feet high ='s 6,372 square feet of drwyall "so far."

You also have the roughly 1,700 square feet of ceiling space in the home and the 120 in the garage. Add that 1,820 to the 6,372 and we get 8,192 square feet of drywall, if my math is right.

It sounds like they could be charging you a $1.70 or so a square foot, which is on the high side.

Of course all the numbers above are guesses. If you provided the number and sizes of all rooms, we could calculate exactly how many square feet of drywall you'd have.

Drywall cost estimators "engines" in the internet usually amount to just signing up to get bids from contractors.

Most contractors do not install drywall correctly, The most common mistake is not putting double screws in the field of the drywall. Drywall is always bowed and cupped, so the proper method is to push on the drywall while zipping the screw in. If it is a screw not on the edge but out in the "field" area, one screw should be put in, then another about an inch or two away. The 2nd screw sucks the drywall up tight, then the installer should re-tighten the first screw again.

Nail pops are the biggest complaint by homeowners (where drywall mud pops off the head of the screw after living in the house for awhile). They can't be totaly avoided but the double screw method eliminates most of them. If you are going to pay top dollar for a drywall job, you really should be getting someone who does things different than your average instaler. Old school is for the framer to put splice blocks between studs where drywall joints will be. This step is often left out in the quest to build homes cheaper and cheaper and charge more and more money for them. They should also use green board drywall around the tub and sink and toilet. It's just treated drywall that resist moisture damage and mildew. It costs a little more but you only usually need a half dozen sheets or so of it.

Just be wary of going with the cheapest bid, or the most expensive one. I'd get 3 bids, and if they seem too out of whack, you may need to get more. Don't tell each bidder what the previous contractor bid.

Hope this helps,

Paul T.

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94574 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/3/2008 12:21 AM
<Payitoff,

Drywall contractors charge by the sq ft. Measure your sq footage to get a handle on the labor/ material cost. (A 4'x8' sheet of drywall is 32 sq ft.) I've no idea what the going rate is in your area.

Scott >

So that makes the material about $3500. So labor would be 11,000 to hang!!!! Wow! Painting not included. That's unreal. We do have 2 more bids coming. Thanks for the info.

Payitoff

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94576 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/3/2008 12:27 AM
<Just for an example...in Central Virginia, new conwstruction...
we are paying around $.67/ sq ft of drywall. That's $32.00/board (48 sq ft). All inclusive = all materials, installed, finished, and cleanup. NOT PAINTED

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Chuck>

Hi, I figure they're asking about $1.65--not painted.
Thanks for the info!
Payitoff

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94577 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/3/2008 12:33 AM
Hope this helps,

Paul T.

Hi,
Wow. You're good. We were recently told 9,000 sq ft. One of the bidders said he could do a slick finish and that helps with cost. What does slick finish mean? We should have two more bids by Saturday.

Thanks,
Payitoff

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94578 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/3/2008 6:05 AM
Hi,
Wow. You're good

Thank you very much.

One of the bidders said he could do a slick finish and that helps with cost

I'm not sure. Are you sure he didn't say he could do an orange peel surface, and that helps with cost over a slick finish?

"Slick finish" usually refers to getting the drywall as perfectly smooth as possible, which typically is the most expensive way but also is generally, the standard way.

Sometimes when a contractor is there throwing out terms, it can be easy to miscommunicate something.

Paul T.

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94749 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/13/2008 10:55 PM
<Sometimes when a contractor is there throwing out terms, it can be easy to miscommunicate something.

Paul T>

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town for a week. We'll be getting the bid on this soon. I'll check out what it says.

Payitoff

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94763 of 129282
Subject: Re: estimate drywall cost? Date: 4/14/2008 3:51 PM
Paul T,

Hey Paul, could you do me a favor and work some of your magic over here:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112992

Here is a group of posters that really deserve your type of comments and questions.

Thanks,

Mark

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement