Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: estimated tax questions Date: 6/16/2005 10:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I just formed a one-person LLC in DE a few weeks ago. I used to be under the impression that I would have to pay estimated tax payments no matter what, but after looking at the 1040-ES form, I'm not so sure. It says:
In most cases, you must make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe at least $1000 in tax for 2005 (after subtracting your withholding and credits) and you expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of 1) 90% of the tax shown on your 2005 return or 2) 110% of the tax shown on your 2004 return.

OK, so that is saying that I should make estimated payments if I expect to owe at least $1000 in taxes between my regular W4 wages and my business income, after all payments and credits have been applied, right? We got a refund of $4000 or so last year, and our picture isn't changing at all. I forsee having maybe two or three more customers before year's end, with a total profit of maybe $1500 tops. So there's basically no way that I would ever end up owing $1000 in tax, right? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
- Ken
Print the post Back To Top
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79724 of 121585
Subject: Re: estimated tax questions Date: 6/16/2005 11:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You'r right, Ken. On the assumptionthat you got a refund because your normal withholding is more than your last year's tax, and your withholding is continuing at the same rate as last year, you are meeting a safe harbor if your AGI last year was less than $150,000. You do not have to pay estimates. ed

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79726 of 121585
Subject: Re: estimated tax questions Date: 6/16/2005 11:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Whew! Thanks!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement