Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Estimating future needs Date: 8/7/2003 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
A lot of people are having trouble coming up with a figure that says what they'll need to be financially independent. It just so happens that I cleaned off my desk today, and buried under a pile of mail was a newsletter that has an article on estimating your retirement income.

First, set up a little table that shows your current expenses. Then, try to predict how those expenses will change when you FIRE. After that, you'll use a multiplier (which I'll get to in a bit) to figure the inflation adjusted annual income you'll need.

Current Projected Annual
Annual Annual x multi- = Income
Areas Expense Expense plier Needed
----- --------- --------- ------ --------
Housing $xxxxx $xxxxx
Food $xxxxx $xxxxx
Clothing $xxxxx $xxxxx
-----
Healthcare $xxxxx $xxxxx
Taxes $xxxxx $xxxxx
Insurance $xxxxx $xxxxx
-----
Transportation $xxxxx $xxxxx
Vacation/Travel $xxxxx $xxxxx
Charitable Cont. $xxxxx $xxxxx
Other $xxxxx $xxxxx
----- ---------
TOTAL PROJECTED ANNUAL EXPENSE: $XXXXXX x x.x% = $XXXXXX

You can make your table much more complex than I did, but this should cover the basics. Certain costs may increase or decrease when you stop working - for instance, your housing costs may go down because your mortgage is paid off, or your healthcare costs may go up because you're no longer covered under an employer's plan. Take these changes into account when coming up with your "Projected Annual Expense" (in today's dollars).

Next, you'll need to figure a "inflation factor multiplier." Conveniently, the newsletter has done this for us:

Years Anticipated Inflation Rate
to FIRE 3% 4% 5% 6%
------- ----- ----- ----- -----
5 years 1.2 1.2 1.3 1.3
10 1.3 1.5 1.6 1.8
20 1.8 2.2 2.6 3.2
30 2.6 3.2 4.3 5.7

The tough part here is picking which inflation factor to use, because inflation rates aren't steady and aren't necessarily easy to predict. So just pick one. :)

Then, take your "Total Projected Annual Expense" from the first table, multiply it by the "Inflation Factor" you picked from the second table, and you will have your "Estimated FIRE Annual Income."

Total Projected Inflation Estimated FIRE
Annual Expense x Factor = Annual Income Needed

Where is this income going to come from? Any number of places, many of which we've already been discussing. The following is a list of some, but by no means all, possibilities:

* Asset Income (dividends, interest, rents)
* Pensions and Retirement Plans
* Earnings (Wages)
* Social Security
* Other (Residuals, Licenses, Other Types of Benefits)

So the next difficult task is to figure out what percentage of your "Total Projected Annual Expense" each type of income will provide. This figure will probably vary over time as well. For instance, if you retire early, it'll be some time before retirement benefits like Social Security kick in, so maybe during those years you'll still want a small wage coming in - perhaps from a hobby.

I'll leave it to you to figure out the rest. Hopefully I've gotten those of you who have no direction headed the right way.

SS
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement