UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockNewb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: ETF Portfolio Date: 11/15/2010 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(Spamming here, god I hope I have the right forum and I'm not spamming the same one twice :S)
Hi

I have been poking around and looking at ETF's, I'm looking for a plug and play portfolio. I.e pick 3-5 Etf's, hold them indefinitely while rebalancing annually.

Now this would make up the portion of my investments that could be considered my high risk part.

My Idea's are as follows

30% allocation to VWO (Vanguard Emerging Markets)
30% Allocation to DSV (SPDR DJ Wilshire Small Cap Value)

But now I have 60% left over, and a lot of options... And not helping matters is I'm not 100% on DSV. Anyone who is more familiar with ETF's have any idea's?

I would love to see small/mid cap etf's in each part of the world, or failing that etf's that cover North America, Europe, Asia, South America etc. i.e investing in 3-5 strong etf's that cover most of the world? allowing for my risk/high growth portion to also double as my international. I have ultra low networth, making the diversification that ETF's offer a very logical path. Also my retirement date is 30 years out minimum allowing me to ride out a lot of problems and my risk tolerance is extremely high, but picking one or two stocks to do well where i could diversify with etf's seems a little foolhardy...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67719 of 76398
Subject: Re: ETF Portfolio Date: 11/15/2010 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, I think I might be looking for an ETF for China, or at least for Asian markets. Lawd knows I don't have the time or patience to research individual issues, but I wouldn't mind having greater exposure to those countries.

(I do have some exposure outside the US, but it's mostly through US corporations that have significant presence overseas, like McDonalds, Coke, Campbells, etc.)

Just toying with it for the moment, but I'm leaning to picking up a slice in that area.

Author: StockNewb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67720 of 76398
Subject: Re: ETF Portfolio Date: 11/16/2010 1:18 AM
Recommendations: 1
Having a heck of time trying to decipher if your being serious or not lol

Sorry :P

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67721 of 76398
Subject: Re: ETF Portfolio Date: 11/16/2010 10:11 AM
Recommendations: 1
Read this paper. It might give you some ideas. FWIW, the author has recently started a fund/ETF. IIRC, the symbol is GTAA.

JLC

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=962461

Author: StockNewb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67722 of 76398
Subject: Re: ETF Portfolio Date: 11/16/2010 11:57 AM
still reading the paper right now, very interesting stuff!

it is 9 am and i have only had 5 hours of sleep, so im going to have to re read it. but thanks for the link

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement