UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: sportscliche One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2165  
Subject: ETF vs ETN: tax efficiency Date: 11/8/2011 2:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am trying to understand the cost efficiency of tracking an index using a mutual fund, ETF, or ETN. I can't figure out how the ETN avoids the drag of the capital gains tax.

I understand how index mutual funds do it: trading is infrequent and the costs of customer redemptions including taxes are distributed among the other holders. Index ETFs use institutional investors to absorb trading costs on the secondary market. The institutions do this because their big blocks of ETF shares can be used profitably in abitrage trading. As a result, the ETF rarely has to adjust its holdings, keeping costs way down.

But the ETNs do not hold any securities by design. They use the proceeds of investor note purchases to buy derivatives on what they are supposed to be tracking, essentially hedging their exposure. Now let's say the index goes up and a note holder wishes to cash out. The firm issuing the ETN will have realized a gain in the hedge position that they purchased with the original investment. The hedge is liquidated, the note holder is paid the profit and returned the original principal (less the note's tracking fee). But the note issuer (ie. the investment bank) will have to pay capital gains tax on the hedge. Presumably this tax will be passed on to the note holder. This would represent a substantial cost and greatly affect the efficiency of the position -- the note would track the index less the stated fee (typically 85 basis points) and less the capital gains tax paid by the investment bank. The note holder then gets taxed on what's left, which means there is double taxation.

I know this can't be correct, so I'd very much appreciate someone clarifying how it works. I'm tired of Google searching.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement