UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454782  
Subject: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/4/2012 9:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The US had a shortage of Ethanol this year--
The U.S. is importing the most ethanol in four years after the country’s worst drought in a
half century drove corn prices to a record, boosting demand for tankers hauling the fuel. Imports almost
tripled in the third quarter from a year ago after domestic output slumped for the first time
in 16 years, Energy Department data show. Almost all the extra supply is being shipped by Brazilian
refiners, who use sugar as a feedstock.

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/News.aspx?ElementId=ef10...

Jeff asked for a stock name on who could benefit. I suggested Cosan (CZZ) and I think Jeff made
same pocket change. If he had traded in Brazil he could have made some Real money (literally and figuratively) ;)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: solarae100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410544 of 454782
Subject: Re: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/5/2012 11:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Why we don't use sugar beets is a mystery to me. They need way less sun, warmth and fertilizer than corn.

Edy

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410547 of 454782
Subject: Re: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/5/2012 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
Why we don't use sugar beets is a mystery to me. They need way less sun, warmth and fertilizer than corn.

Edy

Not to mention that the tops make great cattle food or fertilizer. The German farmers where I lived had huge fields of sugar beets with really good government subsidies. It never made sense to me as it was far cheaper to import sugar and the fields could have been producing something else but I think it was a post WWII thing?

I wonder about water requirements as the area was very wet? Seems to me much of the US corn crop comes from dryer areas?

Any <not a farmer nor does he play one on METaR> mouse

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410579 of 454782
Subject: Re: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/5/2012 7:59 PM
Recommendations: 3

Corn has better lobbyists milking the government for subsidies to fund more lobbying.

Author: waterfell Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410587 of 454782
Subject: Re: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/5/2012 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
If the US had a shortage of ethanol this year, wait until next year. The 2012 corn crop was below normal due to drought conditions in much of the US midwest. Total corn production was down about 2 billion bushels.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/Field_Crops/cornpro...

So the beginning stocks of corn are going to be less than usual. The stocks will be lowest, and possibly completely depleted, by next fall.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/Field_Crops/cornstk...
-----------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from a short trip to Iowa, visiting family. My brother-in-law was telling me how the farmers are now harvesting the corn stalks, as well as the corn ears. The ears are processed into ethanol in the normal manner, and the stalks are fed into a new cellulosic ethanol plant which was recently built in the area. I was unaware that cellulosic ethanol is now commercially viable. Also, a new biodiesel plant is turning soybeans into diesel fuel. Lastly, the hundreds of new wind power turbines I saw mean that Iowa is on the way to becoming an energy producing state.

- Pete

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410592 of 454782
Subject: Re: Ethanol shortage Date: 12/5/2012 11:36 PM
Recommendations: 3
I was unaware that cellulosic ethanol is now commercially viable.

ANYTHING is "commercially viable" if the government is willing to pour enough borrowed money into subsidizing it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement