No. of Recommendations: 33
If you remember I was facing an ethical dilemma:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21003829

Basically my boss took Sprint rewards and "bought" a gift certificate and split it between the accounting department. These Sprint rewards belonged to the company. We had joked about doing it but when push came to shove I balked but icky boss did it anyway.

And there sat this gift certificate in my desk. The anchor around my neck every time I opened my desk drawer.

Anyway, what I ended up doing was I called the Accounting Firm that handles our account and the individual who is the owners personal accountant. (He is like a contracted CFO and valued part of the company) He told me to confront icky boss and tell him that I thought it was wrong.

So I did just that. Icky boss gave me a BS story that he had told the owners and they were okay with it but they probably would forget that they had talked about it. (Yeah fat chance). This story was ringing high on my BS dectector.

The next day I reported back to the outside accountant. He told me that I best tell the male owner just in case this ever came up. I struggled with this for a week. I worried that the owner would blow it off or just poke the Controller and then I would have to leave.

I have had too many sleepless nights over this stupid thing.

Today I poked my head in the male owners office and asked if we could chat. I took him to the office of my confidente in the company who knew what was going on (and is in another building). As we were walking across the parking lot he asked me what was up and I turned to him and said, "the accounting department has been very bad."

And he smiled and he said, "I know."

When we got into the confidente's office (and my support person was there - just to be there) I started by saying that I wasn't going to boss bash or anything and then I realized what the owner had said. I then said, "you know?"

The owner said the outside accountant called him after we talked and told the owner. That it was his accountant's responsibility to tell the owners. We chatted over a few details but HE ALREADY KNEW.

I told him that when I realized what was going to happen I was spineless and unable to stop them. And the confidente (who is a highly respected manager) piped up and said that I had come to him in a panic trying to get the people to stop! (Silent thank you to him)

And now I had this certificate sitting in my desk. We all talked a bit more and the owner shared his philosophy and that he would have never, ever approved it. That ick boss was lying. And I told the owner that I did know that icky boss was lying. There were too many holes in the story and I know the male owner would never have given rewards to us.

What the owner said next surprised me. They told me that they were going to have an audit. That was the only way they could look into everything without pointing the finger at me. But now they were curious what the heck else was out of line, if at all.

Big whew. BUT I am not to tell my coworker who I adore about the audit. She took a cerificate also. The owner said that it will be best if it is unused but if she used it, he doesn't know what he will do. He wants to see what her conscious leads her.

The owner said that now he has the accounting agency's secretary call instead of the accountant because he doesn't want the receptionist (and my coworker) to recognize his voice.

The owner said that I had been twitchy for about a month and I looked like I had been run over by a truck for the last few days. Guilt is a god awful thing.

Thank you for your support. I know I did the right thing. I'll let you know what happens.

Nerokitty
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement