UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: moggiemac One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49430  
Subject: Ethical question part two Date: 11/14/2012 9:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

I approached my boss the way that Fuskie recommended. I went to my boss and said 'listen I've been offered a job by a client and it has benefits to me, but I won't take the offer unless you and the client can come up with a satisfactory agreement between the two of you.'

Of course my boss asked about the money and the rest of the offer and I ended up telling him what the other offer was. I made the point that my discussion with him was not about the money, but about the client and my company coming to an agreement. I also told him about my partner being laid off.

My boss said flat out that if it was a question of money that they would give me the same amount as long as I turned down the other job . There was a lot of talk about what a loss it would be to the company, what a great employee I am and how no matter what the other company gave them it could never make it worth my company's while. Needless to say I walked out of that meeting feeling like a star. So when my boss said they hadn't changed their mind about letting me go, I said fine I'll stay.

So here is where it gets interesting...

Since that time, I have not heard anything from my boss other than a request for a meeting about the situation so that we could tie up loose ends. I agreed to the meeting and said that we could have it on a day that my boss was available, but he didn't get back to me with a time. So I followed up to ask when we were supposed to meet. I have not heard anything from him since that original meeting request which was in the first week in October.

No mention of a raise, not even a reply to emails specifically asking him to meet with me. So I'm left wondering what is going on...

Any ideas of how to approach him now that I'm getting radio silence? I know I told him it was not about the money, but he was the one who offered to match the money the client was going to pay me.

I feel akward going back to him now to say "Hey listen, I know I said it wasn't about the money, but my partner is still out of work and you did make me a promise, so please pay me the money'.

Any one got any advice on this one?

Thanks,
Moggie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement