UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: flyguy2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50161  
Subject: E*Trade Date: 12/14/1999 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Folks, I'm totally new at this.
I executed my first trades a few weeks back, and was somewhat surprised that they cost me closer to $20 per rather than the advertised $7.95.
Am I the only one that's encountered this? Did I do something really foolish. Is there a brokerage that really does cut a trade for the advertised $7.95? Anyone got answers or similar experiences to share? -j
Print the post Back To Top
Author: XCon One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20883 of 50161
Subject: Re: E*Trade Date: 12/15/1999 2:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
E*Trade never advertized that they offer $7.95 trades. You should probably take a few minutes to read the commission schedule on the home page. It clearly states that market orders for NYSE stocks cost $14.95, while limit orders for NYSE and market/limit orders for NASDAQ stocks cost $19.95. They offer rebates on trading commissions for active traders who place 30+ trades per quarter. Commissions for options, bonds, and mutual funds are available at the following link. This info is available from the E*Trade home page by clicking on "About E*Trade" and then "Low Commissions and Rates".

http://www.etrade.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+About?gxml=hpc_disc_margin_c.html&lvl=about

There are other brokerages who offer lower commissions (e.g. Scottrade, Datek, Ameritrade, TD Waterhouse) for trade execution. E*Trade's commissions are considered middle-of-the-pack when compared to Schwab, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, and Fidelity. Investigate what features each brokerage offers and which are important to you. Please be sure to ALWAYS read the fine print before you open any brokerage account.

Paul

Author: TradeJack Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20899 of 50161
Subject: Re: E*Trade Date: 12/15/1999 11:13 PM
Recommendations: 0
Actually, E*TRADE prominently advertises $4.95 (not $7.95) trades -- but you have to make 75 or more trades per quarter to get that rate.

There are several OLBs offering market order trades under $10. I have had luck so far with Scottrade ($7 market/$12 limit).

TraderJack

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement