UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: junkman02 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35387  
Subject: E*Trade’s Bonds Date: 4/20/2009 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is another deep, out-of-the-money put, half of whose premium you are likely to lose. How likely the loss is what needs to be estimated. If the odds are a coin flip or worse, then you back away. More favorable odds than random mean the trade should be done. Price your risks, and act accordingly.

Their yield-curve is negative. The short ratio on the common is 13.4% (and would probably be higher if the stock weren’t already trading under $5). Using my crude methods, I’d estimate a Chapter 11 workout at no more than $0.50 on the dollar at best, which is roughly what the bond market is saying, too, by the way it is pricing their debt.

The 7.875’s of ’15 would require a min purchase of five. The 7.375’s could be bought as a single bond. So they would be the maturity to focus on (unless you like “to swing a big line”, as Livermore would say). You’d be late to the trade, for prices already being off their March lows.

As usual, broker’s reported YTMs understate what I believe to be a better estimate of YTM’s. So run your own numbers, and do your other Due Diligence.

Issue Coupon Maturity YTM Price Cur Yld
E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP B2 B 8.000 06/15/11 34.3 62.100 12.9
E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP B2 B 7.375 09/15/13 28.3 49.100 15.0
E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP B2 B 7.875 12/01/15 24.1 47.600 16.5
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement