Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Etsy Account? Date: 10/17/2011 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

I was wondering if some of you have any experience with Etsy as a seller, and if so, any tips that you might want to pass along? My former co-worker is trying the SAHM gig now that she has finally had her baby. She and her mom are quilters from way back and she's now considering selling some of her quilts through Etsy.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Cautions? I really want to see her do well in this enterprise.

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7210 of 7313
Subject: Re: Etsy Account? Date: 10/25/2011 7:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The only real suggestion I have is "don't under-price your product". Your friend should charge at least minimum wage for her time as well as the full cost of materials and P&P.

Seriously, so many people only consider the cost of materials and don't consider how long it took to make something. As a result, crafts such as knitting and quilting are very undervalued in our society and don't get the recognition (and $$) that they deserve.

- Pam

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7211 of 7313
Subject: Re: Etsy Account? Date: 10/25/2011 11:08 AM
Your friend should charge at least minimum wage for her time as well as the full cost of materials and P&P.

She does beautiful work, so hopefully she will charge enough to make it worthwhile.

Seriously, so many people only consider the cost of materials and don't consider how long it took to make something. As a result, crafts such as knitting and quilting are very undervalued in our society and don't get the recognition (and $$) that they deserve.

Totally with you on that one! I was in Hobby lobby last weekend and heard a woman exclaiming that she "could make that much cheaper", well, maybe. Then again, it might just look like she made it "cheaper", you know ;0)

Anyway, I'll remind her to count her time in the making of the items. I really do hoope she can make a go if it!

LWW

Author: stellla Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7212 of 7313
Subject: Re: Etsy Account? Date: 10/25/2011 4:24 PM
Only tangentially related, but I'm reading a book about photographing things for ebay and etsy. I'm utter rubbish at taking photographs, and the book's been helpful in some ways I didn't expect.

The copy I have is from my public library, so if she wanted to look at it, hopefully her library would have it too. It's Photographing arts, crafts & collectibles : take great digital photos for portfolios, documentation, or selling on the web by Steve Meltzer.

I'm sure there are other books out there as well that focus on the display and marketing of your crafts for online. I know there are tons of blogs and communities that talk about selling crafts; one entry I read talked about the number of posts on various social media sites and blogs the author made for each item listed (hint, it was a ton).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement