UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61203  
Subject: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 2:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Ryan not only is not an intellectual, he hasn't even been a conservative.

Understanding the Ryan Plan
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/matt-miller-the-talen...

Ryan is not a “fiscal conservative.” A fiscal conservative pays for the government he wants. Ryan never has. His early “Roadmap for America’s Future” didn’t balance the budget until the 2060s and added $60 trillion to the national debt. Ryan’s revised plan, passed by the House in 2011, wouldn’t reach balance until the 2030s while adding $14 trillion in debt. It adds $6 trillion in debt over the next decade alone . . .
. . .
Ronald Reagan ran government at 22 percent of gross domestic product when our population was much younger. Ryan and Romney want to run government at 20 percent of GDP even as the number of Americans on Social Security and Medicare doubles.
. . .

Paul Ryan's Fairy-Tale Budget Plan
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/opinion/paul-ryans-fairy-t...

Mr. Ryan professes to be a defense hawk, though the true conservatives of modern times — Calvin Coolidge, Herbert C. Hoover, Robert A. Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower, even Gerald R. Ford — would have had no use for the neoconconservative imperialism that the G.O.P. cobbled from policy salons run by Irving Kristol’s ex-Trotskyites three decades ago. These doctrines now saddle our bankrupt nation with a roughly $775 billion “defense” budget in a world where we have no advanced industrial state enemies and have been fired (appropriately) as the global policeman.
. . .
Indeed, adjusted for inflation, today’s national security budget is nearly double Eisenhower’s when he left office in 1961 (about $400 billion in today’s dollars) — a level Ike deemed sufficient to contain the very real Soviet nuclear threat in the era just after Sputnik.
. . .
A true agenda to reform the welfare state would require a sweeping, income-based eligibility test, which would reduce or eliminate social insurance benefits for millions of affluent retirees. Without it, there is no math that can avoid giant tax increases or vast new borrowing. Yet the supposedly courageous Ryan plan would not cut one dime over the next decade from the $1.3 trillion-per-year cost of Social Security and Medicare.
. . .
In short, Mr. Ryan’s plan is devoid of credible math or hard policy choices. And it couldn’t pass even if Republicans were to take the presidency and both houses of Congress. Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan have no plan to take on Wall Street, the Fed, the military-industrial complex, social insurance or the nation’s fiscal calamity and no plan to revive capitalist prosperity — just empty sermons.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44760 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 11:51 AM
Recommendations: 2
We should make an understanding of 8th grade math a minimum requirement to hold national office...

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44765 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
We should make an understanding of 8th grade math a minimum requirement to hold national office...

4th grade civics as well.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44775 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 8:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
Frankly, I hope Todd Akin hangs in there. Then Claire McCaskill has a very good chance of retaining her Senate seat. Otherwise, all bets are off.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44777 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 8:39 PM
Ooops, wrong thread.

I'm still lagged by the weekend landscape photography course that I took thru the Rocky Mountain Nature Association. Two sunrise shoots (Sat. & Sun.), which meant getting up at 3:30 a.m. in order to get in position for sunrise. There was also one sunset shoot(Sat.), which meant I got back to where we're staying around 10 pm.

The first morning shoot required hiking in - w/ flashlight - over a mile, with a 500' elevation rise. We did get a three hour break Saturday afternoon, which I used for a nap and lunch. All in all, we had around 22 hours of instruction, counting the time for the shoots.

We did learn a lot in the class, so it was worth it.

PM

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44779 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/20/2012 9:04 PM

4th grade civics as well.

Kindergarten manners?

--FY

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44803 of 61203
Subject: Re: Even conservatives reject Ryan Date: 8/21/2012 11:25 AM
Recommendations: 0
PolymerMom: Frankly, I hope Todd Akin hangs in there. Then Claire McCaskill has a very good chance of retaining her Senate seat. Otherwise, all bets are off.

My thoughts, as well.

Chili

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement