No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay Pixie,

Bzzzzz--Here we go.

Background:
I have 2+k in an IRA (Standard-deductible) currently at a bank brokerage in 2 loaded mutuals(Pre-Motley Fool Era) and about 8k in a 401k. The 401k was a bare bones 401k with Fidelity, no employer match no borrowing no nothing. I really took to heart the advice to put the money into tax deferred accounts. ALL the finance books recommended doing this. And I took it to heart. In the 401kI had the choice of 13 Fidelity mutual funds and a brokerage account with 3% charges (which they have since reduced). Didn't know didley about choosing stocks (also Pre-Motley Fool Era) -- choose 2 mutuals (Contra and the Low Price Funds, most of the rest were dogs) using AAII's manual on low cost mutual funds. Now, I'm not working for the company. The 401k remains with the company managing the funds.

Question:
If I rolled the IRA over to a self directed IRA with some deep discount broker, can I also roll the 401k over into the same IRA account? Or would I have to have 2 separate accounts (one IRA and 401k) at the brokerage that I pick. I thought(assumed) that you had to keep all accounts started separately,forever separate. But after reading posts to this board I have gotten an indication that you can put these funds together not just at the brokerage but in a single account. If so, I would love to have all these funds in one self-directed account for convenience. The 401k while allowing me a brokerage account also limits the transactions to once every calendar quarter. Right now that actually would not be a problem. With such a small stake and being still so new -- I would only be in the FF4 and probably Formula90 for diversification. So what's the scoop? To combine or not to combine? Shall I have one hive or two or eventually many?

I am a contract employee and will be working for different companies over a period of years so this is a very important question for me.

Just Buzzing along
FoolBeeOkay Pixie,

Bzzzzz--Here we go.

Background:
I have 2+k in an IRA (Standard-deductible) currently at a bank brokerage in 2 loaded mutuals(Pre-Motley Fool Era) and about 8k in a 401k. The 401k was a bare bones 401k with Fidelity, no employer match no borrowing no nothing. I really took to heart the advice to put the money into tax deferred accounts. ALL the finance books recommended doing this. And I took it to heart. In the 401kI had the choice of 13 Fidelity mutual funds and a brokerage account with 3% charges (which they have since reduced). Didn't know didley about choosing stocks (also Pre-Motley Fool Era) -- choose 2 mutuals (Contra and the Low Price Funds, most of the rest were dogs) using AAII's manual on low cost mutual funds. Now, I'm not working for the company. The 401k remains with the company managing the funds.

Question:
If I rolled the IRA over to a self directed IRA with some deep discount broker, can I also roll the 401k over into the same IRA account? Or would I have to have 2 separate accounts (one IRA and 401k) at the brokerage that I pick. I thought(assumed) that you had to keep all accounts started separately,forever separate. But after reading posts to this board I have gotten an indication that you can put these funds together not just at the brokerage but in a single account. If so, I would love to have all these funds in one self-directed account for convenience. The 401k while allowing me a brokerage account also limits the transactions to once every calendar quarter. Right now that actually would not be a problem. With such a small stake and being still so new -- I would only be in the FF4 and probably Formula90 for diversification. So what's the scoop? To combine or not to combine? Shall I have one hive or two or eventually many?

I am a contract employee and will be working for different companies over a period of years so this is a very important question for me.

Just Buzzing along
FoolBee
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement