Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Even more certain than that, there will be an overwhelming number of people who will not have a penny put away for their futures. Of course, they will still expect to be provided for.

The federal government has an insatiable appetite for money. Never doubt that the desire for ever more cash will lead to them look at anywhere there is ready cash just sitting there. In such a scenario, Roths look like low hanging fruit.

I have zero doubt that Roth funds will be subject to further taxation simply because they are there and that congress is free to change the rules at any time. The rules can be as simple as taxing any future withdrawals at your current tax rate. They could also implement a tax on simply holding it in your account. So they could start out with a 1% tax on any balance of say 10k or more.

The fact that no such things are in the works today, should not eliminate them from planning that goes out multiple decades. Sadly, it would be infinitely wiser to include such potential developments in your plans rather than to exclude them.

I entirely agree. In addition to all you said, the government has another sneaky way to get your money. When the government is really in trouble, they will try to sell treasury bonds and no one will wish to buy them. Think the largest holders, the governments of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, ... . They are already unloading their treasuries as fast as they can without depressing the bond prices too much. When no one wants the bonds, the Federal Reserve can buy them, but that causes massive inflation. So here is the way for the government to unload the unwanted bonds.

Have you ever heard of someone losing money by owning common stocks? So have I. All the government needs to do to sell the unwanted bonds is to pass the "Retirement Account Insurance and Security Act" (I made up the name, but you get the idea.) that provides that all retirement accounts must contain at least 30% (I picked that number out of a hat) in US treasury bonds. Instead of it looking like they are stealing your money, it looks like they are protecting you from unscrupulous stock salesmen. Sneaky, right? And do not think they would never dare do that. They did something similar to insurance companies during WW-II, requiring much greater amounts invested in US Treasuries than the companies would otherwise have wished.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement