UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749121  
Subject: Even more Michigan legislation! Date: 12/12/2012 10:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
In all the hubbub over right-to-work I completely forgot about the Emergency Manager Law needing to be rewritten... but the legislators didn't!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121212/POLITICS02/21212...

No excerpts (it's too hard to do that from that website on my iPhone) but here's a synopsis:

The old law was rejected via a ballot proposal in November so an even older law was in effect greatly weakening what the Emergency Managers could do. This law gives them back the powers they are stripped of with the caaveat that the elected leadership could pick between the emergency manager, a consent agreement with the state or Chapter 9 Bankruptcy.

The Detroit reps were not happy. One said [paraphrasing] "We reject the notion that we can't solve this ourselves." Lol! Seeing as you created this mess and have only made it worse don't take it personally if everyone else comes to the opposite conclusion buddy!

My favorite was the female Dem rep from Saginaw [this IS a direct quote]:

"I urge a 'no' vote on this effing legislation."

Classy!

Best part: it contains an appropriation so it cannot be overturned via referendum (like the previous law was).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659803 of 749121
Subject: Re: Even more Michigan legislation! Date: 12/12/2012 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Let Detroit burn... again.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659825 of 749121
Subject: Re: Even more Michigan legislation! Date: 12/13/2012 9:02 AM
Recommendations: 1
Let Detroit burn... again.

wolverine307

Is there anything combustible left in Detroit? I would have thought that the multiple Devil's night burnings that I used to read about had consumed much of Detroit. <g>

Mike, whose one visit to Detroit in 1986 made him thnk that this is what Berlin looked like in May 1945 after Zhukov's Red Army rolled through. <g>

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659840 of 749121
Subject: Re: Even more Michigan legislation! Date: 12/13/2012 10:36 AM
Recommendations: 0
Mike, whose one visit to Detroit in 1986 made him thnk that this is what Berlin looked like in May 1945 after Zhukov's Red Army rolled through. <g>

You should visit my old neighborhood in The Bronx.

The beautification program there has it looking pretty snazzy after looking like what you describe

They took all the burnt out building, covered the windows with metal and let the local school kids paint flowers and the outlines of windows on them.

And they say liberalism doesn't work, hey what a solution!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement