UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jtallenmd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 674  
Subject: Eventful Week Date: 12/21/2008 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My second daughter is a senior at BYU-I. This past September she called to say that she was dating someone seriously and wanted one of us to come out to meet him to get our approval. Well, we talked about it and decided that it would be cheaper for us to pay for him to fly out and meet us. The other advantage would be that all of us would get to meet him.

We decided to have him fly out with DD when she came for Christmas break. They arrived in Syracuse on Friday, but that was the night of our ward Christmas party so our 1st daughter, who lives in Binghamton with her husband, picked her up from the airport. They spent the weekend with them and then DW met them on Monday to bring them up to our house.

As the months have passed, it has become more and more clear that they were probably going to get engaged. We asked DD when he was going to propose and she told us that he was waiting to ask our permission in person.

Days passed, but he had never come to me to ask my permission. DD and DW were talking about it and he was waiting for a time when DD wasn't around. She was hanging on to him too tightly to give an opportunity.

Yesterday we planned to go down to Palmyra. One of the couples from our ward was getting endowed and sealed before he gets deployed. We were planning to go down for the session and sealing and then taking DD's boyfriend to see the sights. The night before, though, we got about a foot of snow. I got up early to snowblow the driveway, but still did not finish in time to make it for the endowment. We did make it for the sealing.

DD's boyfriend was endowed prior to his mission so he went to the sealing with us. We also showed him a little around the temple. We weren't able to go into the celestial room, but you can see the stained glass from the outside of the temple. He and I walked around the back of the temple to see it. That is when he asked my permission. I had planned to give him a hard time, but somehow it just didn't seem right at the moment.

Anyhow, we dropped them off at the Hill Cumorah and went to the Bishop's Storehouse/Distribution Center to pick up some food storage supplies. We ended up taking two hours, which is about twice as long as we had planned. We thought for sure he would propose there, but he didn't.

Later he was helping me to bring firewood into the house. While we were out in the garage loading wood into the cart I asked him if he had proposed yet. He said that he hadn't. I said we thought he might propose at Cumorah. He said he had thought about it but he had done up this special video as an introduction to the proposal and still wanted to use it.

Last night I was working on the computer and he got up to put a video on. I quickly realized that it was "the video" so I stopped what I was doing to watch the video. It ended with "I have a question for you..."
Then he got down on his knee, pretended to pull the ring from behind her ear and then asked if she would marry him. She said, "Yes."

So now we have to plan for a wedding in April in Idaho. That will be my first ever trip to Idaho.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement