UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61111  
Subject: Re: Mesa cemetary Date: 7/29/2013 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Eventually something gets everybody.

Well, that's certainly true for everyone we know of who was born at least 100+ year ago or so. It seems like a pretty safe bet that people will continue to die at some point.

100 years from now it won't matter how long any of us lived.

Yes and no. There are certainly examples of some people who have had an impact on the lives of others on earth for over a century - some for thousands of years. But, in general, this is probably true for most of us. On the other hand, we all have a chance to make the world better for someone today . . . and probably tomorrow. That seems like a worthy goal to many.

We live as long as we live.

Yes, we do.

Besides which time is an illusion anyway.

I have no idea what that means or why it would be important.

We will all just be footnotes in the history of mankind.

Probably not even that. But why would that bother me or anyone else? My timeline is focused more on lunch today. I'm thinking I may need to go to the grocery store so that I can make a decent salad to go with the salmon I intend to grill. Longer term, while I'm out, I could look for a polka-dot T-shirt for SGSpouse because she mentioned that she earns points at the gym she goes to every morning for wearing certain kinds of gym wear and she doesn't have a polka-dot T-shirt for one of the days this week. It's silly financially to spend money on a T-shirt in order to get points that are probably not worth 1/10th of the cost of the shirt, but it might make her happy for a few minutes. That's worth it. Longer term still, I heard a joke yesterday that I know will make my father laugh. I wrote it down and placed it next to the phone so I remember to tell it to him when we talk tomorrow. I have trouble remembering jokes I hear, but Dad always remembers them and tells them over and over again.

That might not fill my week, but it will be a good start. I'll try to come up with more worthy goals as I go.

I guess my really long-term goals include some trips I will take with SGSpouse later this year. But I'm not really planning on anything so grandiose as trying to be a footnote in the history of mankind.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement