Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 440920  
Subject: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
From now through Halloween, the hills of Central and Western NY are one of the most beautiful places on Earth. All this country is the northern end of the Applachian uplands. It is all rolling hills and valleys out of a Tolkein novel. The Finger Lakes are particularly awesome when flamed by the flame red maples and yellow beech. The winerys which are all over the region have free tastings and several have restaurants with lake views.

Another are I love is arond the home of Colgate University in Hamilton NY. Make reservations at the Colgate Inn for dinner and drive the surrounding countryside for breath taking leaf looking. Just over the hills to the north Barry St Ledger and his Native American allies me Herkimer at Oriskany.

All this beauty of flora is the result of CCC plantings 70 years ago. The hills had been stripped bare in the 19th century and the soil so eroded it was worthless. Now it is balm for the soul.

Be warned....go now...the frakers are on the way..there will be no FDR this time around.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410328 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
BTW: If you are of a certain age you may remember a movie with Liza Minelli called the Sterile Cuckoo. That movie was all shot around Hamilton and Clinton NY. The scenery hasn't changed much.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410330 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 1:44 PM
Finton's Landing in Penn Yan on Lake Keuka is a really nice B&B.

https://plus.google.com/101575396851881788525/about?gl=us&am...

Chili

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410338 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 3:08 PM
There is an overlook of Keuka near the south end on the state highway, east side, that has to be seen to be believed. You need to see it early or late with the light shimmering off the water and the vineyards across the lake.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410346 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 5:16 PM
My dw has planned a route for next week: 800 some miles from Boston to Lenox / Berkshires, up to the White Mountains, then over to the coast and back down to Boston. 10 days to cover an 800 mile loop.

Landing in Boston at 06:00a.m. have breakfast, see something, then drive to Lenox. I imagine we need to be outta Boston by sometime to avoid pm traffic and make Lenox before dark?
A few days later, drive to the White Mountains. "Stay in Woodstock" Do stuff around there.

Then over to the coast.... I see on her scratchpad include, Portland? Ogunquit? Kennebunk? Gloucester?

Any tips appreciated.

sano -

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410351 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 5:38 PM
"Stay in Woodstock" Do stuff around there.

Cooperstown isn't far from Woodstock (I just looked. It's 95 miles, about 2 hours, but it's a pretty drive, particularly this time of year). If you like good beer, the Ommegang brewery is there and gives good tours and samples . . . and they have the best malted milk balls ever (I don't drink beer). Oh, and the Baseball Hall of Fame is there. I'm a fan, but found the HOF a disappointment.

Chili

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410352 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 5:40 PM
Then over to the coast.... I see on her scratchpad include, Portland? Ogunquit? Kennebunk? Gloucester?

Any tips appreciated.

Swing through Brunswick and see how a freak like me is created ;) Visit Popham (?) Beach and Cook's, the actually lobster restaurant I grew up eating at which made it into a credit card commercial.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410363 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 10:15 PM
Cooperstown isn't far from Woodstock

I gave up watching pro-ball about the same time I told the nuns to take a hike.
Surfing is a much more satisfying Sunday.

But thanks for the thought...

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410364 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/4/2012 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
Swing through Brunswick and see how a freak like me is created ;) Visit Popham (?) Beach and Cook's, the actually lobster restaurant I grew up eating at which made it into a credit card commercial.

..and now you live just down the road a bit from me!! You did something right.

Lobster/clams/mussels, high on the priority list. Brunswick. Where's Cooks?

http://www.cookslobster.com/

Every local claims to know the best Lobster pound or roll

what's a pound?

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410381 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/5/2012 10:22 AM
Every local claims to know the best Lobster pound or roll

what's a pound?

I had to Google it, and I found two definitions: one, a seaside restaurant where you eat "informally", like at big outdoor tables. The other is like a lobster pen made of nets and wharves. I would say either could be applied to Cook's...when I was young, we would go there and order a lobster, and they would walk outside on the dock and pull up a net and grab one right fresh from the ocean.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so good.

They also used to have those plastic bibs with directions for eating the lobster.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410421 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/5/2012 1:09 PM
I gave up watching pro-ball about the same time I told the nuns to take a hike.
Surfing is a much more satisfying Sunday.

I suspected you weren't a fan. That's why I led with the Ommegang brewery, in case craft beer had more appeal. ChiliSpouse says Ommegang is among his American favorites.

Enjoy the trip. It should be pretty this time of year.

Chili

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410427 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/5/2012 1:34 PM
I would say either could be applied to Cook's...when I was young, we would go there and order a lobster, and they would walk outside on the dock and pull up a net and grab one right fresh from the ocean.

We're bouund to run into a few of 'em as we cruise around Maine coast... MDI, Portsmouth Kennebunk, etc.

We're booked into Lenox and Lincoln as it's apparently prime leaf peeping and things fill up... but I understand the coast is quieter, and a lot of stuff closed end of Sept.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410443 of 440920
Subject: Re: Ever been to the NY Finger Lakes Date: 10/5/2012 3:54 PM
I suspected you weren't a fan.

Pretty much not - although I reallly enjoyed watching the Little League World Series last year when an OC team brought it home. That's great sport. But watching prima donna grownups get paid ridiculous sums to play ball games .... not so much.

The other day somebody posted a thought that went something like - 'something is dreadfully wrong when a guy with a helmet in a sports stadium is getting paid millions while a guy with a helmet in an Afghani firefight is making peanuts.'

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement