UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744609  
Subject: Evernote Business Date: 12/6/2012 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a fan of Evernote, which is basically a cloud-based notetaking/storage/search company that makes life way easier. I use it all the time for work and personal business. I can take a picture of, say, a receipt, store it in a notebook, tag it with whatever I want and search by date, by tag or even by what is WRITTEN on the receipt (it will read it!). There are thousands of uses for it and it's both web-based and app-based so I can use my iPhone to take a note and my work computer (PC) to access it flawlessly.

They've just come out with something called Evernote Business which may really come in handy for the Cub Scout pack I'm soon to be basically in charge of. While you can share notebooks between people in regular Evernote it's not the perfect collaboration tool in that often you can show people something but they can't edit it, and you don't want to be sharing all of your personal notebooks at work and vice-versa. But with Business you can share notebooks and libraries with people totally separate from your personal stuff, with much higher levels of collaboration.

So if at the Committee Meeting for the pack we wanted to know how much money we had in the budget we could pull up that notebook and look at a PDF of the most recent transactions. Say the Treasurer spent money the next day. Instead of him having to send that out he can simply update the PDF and all of us would have access to it instantly on our phones and/or computers. Meeting agenda? No need to print it out, just share it in the notebook and edit it during the meeting (or afterwards) and everyone has it. Each Outing could have a notebook so everyone would know the progress (or lack thereof) of each event. Someone dropped the ball and hasn't made reservations? Someone else can step up, do it, put down they've done it and we'd all know.

The drawback is that there is a cost involved... $10 per person per month. That might be a deal-killer depending on our budget (we're looking into more fundraising, but are limited in what types we can do). I doubt the Council would pick up any of the cost (though it wouldn't hurt to ask). It's not a fortune but even with just five people involved (and there would have to be more than that if the Den Leaders were brought in, which they'd almost certainly have to be) that's $600 a year. We only made $1300 or so from our popcorn sale so we'd have to really step up our game to cover that expense.

Anyway, this is the kind of thing that I get all excited about then end up bummed when it just can't happen. It looks to be perfect for what we'll be doing but how do you explain that to people when some of them don't even like smartphones? Should be interesting.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement