No. of Recommendations: 1
Every choice has to e viewed from many angles, some good and others bad. What I like about the article is the idea behind it: there are alternatives you may not have considered, particularly places that don't often suggest themselves for retirement. Why not open people's minds to alternatives?

My mother was never well off financially. As she put it, "We were never poor, we just never had any money." After my father passed, her only significant assets were her SS checks and a house on Long Island, NY, purchased 45 years earlier. In her mid-seventies she sold the house, and with my sister moved to coastal North Carolina - not the outer coast where all the rich move, but Pamlico County, a very poor and sparsely populated area. The house they bought with perhaps a quarter of what she got from selling the LI house was not new, and not in a retirement community full of other retired yankees. She made new friends, some from the well off (such as having a pension from 30 years in the Navy) to a lady working part time at the fish house down the end of the street fileting. She lived with the locals, the way they lived, they took her in as one of their own, and she chose to be buried there. Now, that wouldn't work for me, but it sure made me aware that there are cheaper alternatives to staying in CT when I retire!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement