UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20845  
Subject: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
This question goes through my head.

Have there ever been any cases of an airplane passenger surviving a crash because they used their seat cushion as a flotation device?

I'm thinking that - number one - most crashes, you're pudding. If you're not pudding, you're in a freezing cold body of water and hypothermia is near at hand. Or you're miles from anywhere. Or you landed like that pilot in the river outside of NYC but not actually swimming.

A big part of me thinks this is feel-good BS, like taking nail clippers away from potential terrorist threats at security...

But I'm asking - is there even one case, in the history of aviation?

Inquiring minds...

SG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19044 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/nov/25/survivor-clung-...

Google is your friend

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19045 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
But I'm asking - is there even one case, in the history of aviation?

Inquiring minds...

SG

I was fairly certain you are right, not counting the landing on the Hudson in NYC, but Wiki shows us wrong/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_landing
There have been a number of survivors of ocean landings.

Count Upp

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19049 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 7:48 PM
I know perceptions are hard to change but consider -

Even in commercial plane crashes with fatalities, the National Transportation Safety Board found 95.7% of all occupants survived such incidents in the USA from 1983 through 2000. In 568 accidents, 2,280 of 53,487 occupants died.

"If you were to take a flight every day, in order for you statistically to be in a fatal aircraft accident, you'd have to live 35,000 years," Hansman of MIT says of the crash rate of 0.2 fatalities for every 1 million airline departures. "There is no other means of transportation that is equivalent in terms of its success. It's actually much safer than riding on an escalator."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2012/10/01/insi...

Rich

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19050 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 9:02 PM
I always felt like asking to swap the seat cushion for a parachute :-)

**** Not Signed ****

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19051 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 9:05 PM
Recommendations: 0
Jeff, don't think the parachute would do you much good in the water, unless, of course, you are thinking about suicide.

Donna

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19052 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/6/2012 11:15 PM
I always felt like asking to swap the seat cushion for a parachute :-)

**** Not Signed ****

I have always thought that too. I've always imagined that too. When emergency strikes, you slide out a floor that flips open.

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19054 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/7/2012 3:21 PM
I have always thought that too. I've always imagined that too. When emergency strikes, you slide out a floor that flips open.

Not sure I'd want to be trying to wrestle with a parachute in that situation. At 35,000ft, it's -50F or colder. The change in pressure would force all the air out of your lungs and there is no breathable air, so you have about 30 seconds of consciousness.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19059 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/7/2012 9:36 PM
Chutes can be set up to auto deploy at a certain altitude, say 8,000 or so, give you a chance to wake up, prepare or direct your landing after the earlier nap time.. Beats being splattered...

It's the polar flights that get me considering landing zones, not much hope of finding any, then the miles of ice, even tho shrinking, would still be daunting... Best hope the plane body holds together...

So the falling, that's pretty primal, the stuff nightmares are made of...

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19060 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/7/2012 10:17 PM
It's the polar flights that get me considering landing zones, not much hope of finding any, then the miles of ice, even tho shrinking, would still be daunting... Best hope the plane body holds together...

So the falling, that's pretty primal, the stuff nightmares are made of...

Just when I was getting over my fear of flying ...

I really do have problems with getting on an airplane, and I almost always need a Xanax to board. Actually, my fear comes more from claustrophobia associated with being strapped into a seat with no legroom.

I used to worry when we'd go over the ice caps/oceans, but then I realized that those crashes are so rare that I should worry more about the taxi ride after landing.

Now that I'm retired, I don't have to worry about it so much. I'm only flying about a dozen times a year, with only one or two intercontinental trips. I can't say that I miss the travel that much.

Grue

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19061 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/8/2012 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 4
Chutes can be set up to auto deploy at a certain altitude, say 8,000 or so, give you a chance to wake up, prepare or direct your landing after the earlier nap time.. Beats being splattered...

The whole idea of parachutes sounds good, but the practicality is limited. Having sensors, automatic deployments, etc adds a lot of complexity for situations that are extremely rare. In many of those rare cases, one could argue that any plane wide parachute system would not work because of the extreme force that the plane was subjected to.

There are more landing areas than you would think. If you are flying a two-engine plane between Europe and the US, you are always within two hours of an airport. This is the reality. Most plane don't suffer a catastrophic failure during their flight, however they do suffer mechanical problems and failures that can be dealt with.

When thing do go wrong, such as loss of an engine, your pilot will divert to the nearest airport and you will get to enjoy spending time in places like Whitehorse, YT, Canada. I've had that happen on a flight from Frankfurt to San Francisco. Other than having than the wait for a replacement plane, it wasn't a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I get that many folks aren't comfortable or fear flying. I used to fly a ton and in all that time, I had maybe a dozen times where the flight was memorable for something going wrong in my thousands of flights. If translated to driving, I pass accidents almost everyday, have a close call every once in a while, and see wrecked cars being towed down the road. With all this, I don't drive around thinking that a tires could explode at any minute and send me careening off a bridge or into a wall at 70mph. I don't think that I could have a fuel leak that will set the car on fire. I don't worry when I come to a stoplight that if my breaks fail at that instant, I'm in big trouble. Those things just doesn't happen that often.

The brain is a funny thing. We don't think about that stuff when it comes to cars, however when we get on a plane, it is immediately the most dangerous method of travel ever devised and we can't make it safe enough, even though it is by far. much safe than driving.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19062 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/8/2012 11:44 AM
Actually, my fear comes more from claustrophobia associated with being strapped into a seat with no legroom.

That's the bit I don't like. I'm confined in a space with sometimes hundreds of people whom, statistically, at least a few are carrying some nasty bug that I want no part of. Super-TB anyone? And airlines, to reduce costs, refresh the cabin air less frequently than they used to do.

Not to mention all the mites and "stuff" in the seats themselves. And does anyone disinfect those tray tables or armrests? (If not, what't he point in washing your hands??! Which, statistically, many people do NOT...like the people who sat in your seat on a previous flight.)

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19063 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/8/2012 11:53 AM
I/we don't fear flying, many years of flights, I understand all the techy things, maintenance here in the US at the whim of corporate belt tightening is scarier...

A friend and I were talking on Halloween, he was an avionics whiz, so tons of air time, globally.. Best airline to his mine was the Emirates http://www.emirates.com/us/english/index.aspx line... roomy, comfy, spotless... Makes UA, others look like rats nests, cattle cars... Another world...

Overseas flights are interesting, my first was back in '67, heading to a worksite for several months in the Marshall Islands. Propellers! World Airways.. Double duty as a freight hauler, so half the plane is loaded with crates.. Stews were young guys, gals, dealing with it fine as it made round robin trips a couple times a week, stopping in Honolulu to refuel, then on to the South Pacific in 10 hour flights.. Turbulence coming East into Hawaii got us once, sitting reading, sudden drop, stop was hard enough to put the Stews on the deck, me my head driven between my knees.. We'd apparently fallen a long ways vertically, then recovered.. No waring, bam! The planes are TOUGH, our nerves from there on into Honolulu, on edge, every jig or jag had the expected tenseness... But, all was good, just another day in the air... later years I was our Union Rep for the crew in Hawaii, so monthly or more flights, all on 747's was a fun ride, seasoned crews, great planes, Exit row seats if I could...

All good, they've come a long ways... if you can find a sky plot of all the flights, interesting how many are always on the air...

Enjoy...

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19064 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/9/2012 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
my fear comes more from claustrophobia associated with being strapped into a seat with no legroom.

i do not FEAR this, but anythng over 2 hours, I really want an aisle.
I have a scar on my face from passing out on a plane when i was *trapped* in a window seat for 5 hours (by my non-communicative seatmates)

Anxiety + dehydration (wasnt drinking since i couldnt get out) + standing up too fast = syncopetic episode
good times.

(I have a million other stories, as well, but I can only control ME)

peace & travel
t

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19066 of 20845
Subject: Re: Every time I'm on a plane Date: 11/12/2012 7:25 AM
I'm a kind of a nervous flyer except when I'm in first/business class. As I was yesterday, when the hubster gave me his upgraded seat and he took mine in steerage. (a) It's much quieter--the engine noise grates on me (yes, I bring noise-canceling headphones, but I can still hear it and feel the vibrations), (b) ah, the body comfort, (c) the wine (and food when avialable, not on my short flight yesterday), (d) easy access to the bathroom with no need to crane my neck around to see if there's a line, and especially (d) Nothing says I'm Entitled To Live! like flying with the 1% (or fellow undeserving upgradees ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement