Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Everything is correct except the last statement, "if I file an itemized tax form then i can declare that $5,000 margin interest..."

Actually, your statement is correct as worded, but, if you meant "I can deduct the margin interest" then the answer is "maybe."

Margin interest is deductible if the loan was used for investment purposes (you can't take a margin loan to go on vacation, etc.), and to the extent that you have investment income (interest, dividends, short-term capital gains). If you have long-term capital gains, you can elect to have them taxed at ordinary rates in order to deduct your margin interest. Any margin interest which can't be deducted this year can be carried forward to next year.

See Form 4952 and its instructions for all the details.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.