Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Everytime I talk to someone they say they can't help me because I'm a US resident and they don't have a brokerage license for Georgia.

Am I screwed here?

Short answer: Yep you are screwed.

Less Short Answer: You are technically supposed to declare the existence of the RRSP to the IRS and claim an exemption under the US-Canada tax treaty. Otherwise you are supposed to pay tax on the earnings to Uncle Sam. You can't change your investment options inside the RRSP unless you have a Canadian address. But then that opens up Canadian tax issues (Canada will want to tax your income). You might try pulling the money out of the RRSP, paying the 25% withholding tax to Canada, and putting the cash into a US Roth. That might work. But it'll cost you 25%.

When I moved to the US I had some significant dollars in "Locked-In" RSPs (LIRAs) that I could not cash out (they were from company pensions). So I put them into low-cost TD e-funds and left then on auto-pilot in general market index funds with re-invested dividends. I declare the income every year to both the IRS and California (and have to pay tax on the earnings to California).

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.