Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ex MSFT Fool,

Please be clear. Did NT (which as Microsoft claims includes all bundled software in the box labeled NT)use code from the previous and/or concurrent OS/2 effort at Microsoft?

"From scratch" indicates that none of the OS/2 software was reused. And no software from any other distinct project at Microsoft. It sounds like Microsoft reused code. Even in your posting. I did not imagine the messages coming out of NT, and an OS/2 guru (who worked for IBM on their development) confirmed the messages were originally in OS/2, and in fact some are in there today. Copied to be compatible?

I reviewed my books and there are descriptions of borrowing Windows 95 software for the NT 4.0 release. Are the books wrong?

I know the distinction Billy G wants to make is how NT grew out of Microsoft in contrast to how DOS was started by an across-town engineer/company. Yes, this time they started on their own. They had to carry a lot of OS/2 for a bit (and were even called OS/2 3.0 before the IBM divorce) and jettisoned some (all?).

Microsoft came close to another reuse, as I recall. There was consideration of using the Mach microkernel. Didn't in the end, though the father of Mach, Rashid, did join the effort. If they had committed they would have likely gotten Tevenian as well, who instead went to NeXT (who committed to Mach) and is now (or was last I heard) a senior software dude in Apple. Tevenian was a principle graduate student/developer at CMU on the Mach project.

No, I was not on the Microsoft campus and only know what I have observed, read, and heard through a friend who knows Cutler well. If I have been led wrong then I appreciate the correction.

Mr T
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement