No. of Recommendations: 0
I just started gathering my tax papers for 2005 and noticed that I have inadvertently exceeded the $14k 401k limit for the year. I changed employers in 2005 and so had already invested about $2500 at the first employer before closing that account, and rolling it over to an IRA. I then put the full $14k into my new 401k plan at my new employer. Dunno how I managed not to think of the obvious for close to a year, but it seems to be the case. What are my options?

At best, I suppose only $14k of the 401k contributions will be pre-tax, but is there any provision for after-tax dollars going into a 401k above the $14k limit? If not, how exactly do you "take back" an investment to satisfy the IRS?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.