UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740227  
Subject: Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date: 5/15/2003 3:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
Excellent post, Golfwaymore. Thanks for making the effort.

While you provide a good introduction to the self storage business, perhaps even more importantly you show the mind of a businessman at work, assessing what is worthwhile and what is not. That is of particular value to anyone contemplating starting a business, in my view.

My most serious criticism is that you haven't assessed the risk of over expansion of the service you offer. The ease with which you estimate the revenues you might expect to receive, and analyze your competition can be done by others. A major risk of any kind of real estate investing is that you are building for the long term, but the attractive returns you are experiencing should be EXPECTED to cause others to enter the business, probably glutting the supply and bidding down rents and increasing vacancies. Competetors might install more bells and whistles such as full time staff, paved parking lots, increased security and so forth. This might sharply cut into your ability to fill vacancies and raise your expenses significantly if you try to match them.

Indeed, your major competetor probably cannibalized the competition when he opened up, and while you met the level of service your competetor provided, you didn't feel a need to significantly exceed it. New competetors might do just that.

This lack of assessing the impact of new suppliers of your service is the major weakness of your study that I see. I'd be interested in your comments.

Again, excellent post. Thanks for insights on how you assess a business opportunity.

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement