Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a question about reporting excess Roth IRA contributions. The background is this:

1. In Jan'2004 I made ROTH Ira contributions. In Feb'2005 I realized that I had contributed more than my allowed amount to the Roth IRA. So I requested a withdrawal of excess contributions. I was refunded $400 in excess contribution and also $104 which was supposed to be the money that the excess contribution grew by.

2. In my 2004 taxes I did not report any Roth IRA withdrawal as it was the excess contributions that were withdrawn before turning in the taxes.

3. Now for 2005 I get a 1099-R for $504. How do I report this - All I did was excess contribution withdrawn and they need not be reported as far as I understand! But the IRS will now have a 1099 which my taxes don't have! What should I do?

thanks a lot
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.