Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mawhinney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Exchange Traded Funds Date: 6/12/2000 8:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What are the benefits and pitfalls of holding an Exchange Traded Fund vs. a regular mutual fund? I am thinking of moving funds from Vanguard 500 Index into 500 index version of their soon to be released Exchange Traded Funds.

Exchange Traded Funds charge a commission to buy and sell so they woulld not be suitable to dollar cost averaging.

Expenses should be lower and distributions will not be taxed every year.

You can sell throughout the trading day rather than waiting until the end of the day.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: timomimo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4203 of 19021
Subject: Re: Exchange Traded Funds Date: 6/15/2000 12:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
mawhinney,

Here is a link that has some good info:

http://www.smartmoney.com/smt/funds/index.cfm?story=200006021

Tim.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement