Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been following this company for awhile and I just picked up a few hundred shares this morning. Unfortunately, this board is not very active but it'd be interesting to hear from others who follows this stock. Today's press release sounds very interesting:

http://www.retailenterprise.com/news/Retailenterprise1.htm

Can someone shed some light on the implications of this announcement?

All best,

icepal
Print the post Back To Top
I am in all likelihood going to be working for RADS after I graduate this May, and I went to the company HQ in Atlanta today to shadow some RADSers and also found out a little more about this.

Radiant's current main product line is a full solution to retail sales needs, from Point-of-sale systems to back-office maintenance systems and HQ systems (including decision support and inventory management). This full-service solution is very high-tech and solves many needs of customers (Ameriking, Amoco, Chick-fil-a, etc...) but its cost makes it available to only large corporations such as these.
With retailenterprise.com (and the general WAVE system that retailenterprise.com is a part of), Radiant is planning to also become an Applications Service Provider for retail stores, and reach out more to both:
a)the smaller corporations with only a few stores and
b)groups that perhaps only run a few franchises of a larger corporation
who cannot afford to implement a customized Radiant solution for their retail needs.
Companies will sign up for a monthly subscriber fee (I have no idea what this would be) and be able to access certain modules of store management software (i.e. everything from Labor Maintenance to Online Purchase Orders to online DSS), which could be picked from (if the company only needed Labor for instance), all of which will be available on the retailenterprise.com site.
In addition to this, Radiant plans to cultivate an online community among these retailers on retailenterprise.com that would allow for collective ordering from large vendors, discussion on current retail issues (message boards like this!) and also an online auction site where items used in retail can be sold (e.g. a Chick-fil-a goes out of business and needs to sell its chicken friers). This "community" idea is similar to other online communities already in place (arriba?) but Radiant believes it will become much more successful that these because of the ASP side of the website.

All in all, retailenterprise.com is the beginning of RADS's push to use the power of the internet to make physical retail sites more powerful and profitable. There are many more VERY exciting developments around the corner in both retailenterprise.com and the RADS-AOL venture. Just wait!

HTH,
Scythen
Thanks Scythen:

That's very helpful information. I became aware of this company when my wife, who has a retail business, began to research point-of-sale systems. We were very impressed by Radiant's products and services. Anyway, when I heard about Radiant's deal with AOL I became very interested in the company as an investor.

I put the stock on my watchlist when it was in the low 20's. It worried me at first that the liquidity was so poor in the stock and that it had had such a big run-up recently. However, I knew the company had great products and when I saw this B2B announcement I bought some shares at $33. My intention is to buy more when I learn more about these efforts.

I like the new direction the company is taking but I'd like to learn more about how it intends to market their site and new services. The B2B market is hot and there is a lot of competiton. Unless Radiant can sign up a lot of companies right away and get some real activity on their site, this investment may simply add up to naught. Just setting up an auction place is not enough these days. Marketing is key.

Do you know anything about its advantages in this regard (how to get a lot of activity on the site)?

Anyway, I appreciate your information and I wish you good luck at RS. Make sure you work for stock, my friend.

All best,

icepal
Yadda yadda yadda. Sounds like another spin announcement with a lot of hype and popular jargon from business & investors press but vapor ware to actually sell.

I am still waiting to buy gas at that WEB pump RAD announced.
Good luck if you join the team. They can use more like you whose enthusiasm is only over shaddowed by their inexperience. Beleive it or not that is a compliment. RADs folks are aggressive and a tad arrogant allowing them to make hype sell well - so far. If the economy stays boom you (they) will do well for a time.
HOGrider

Could you please elaborate on your comments?

Aggressive marketers and managers can be OK. Noone likes arrogance but it's a human trait and the business world has an abundance of it. It would be interesting to see how you back up your comments. Have you had any contact with them?

Regarding the economy, and the jockeying for positions in the web-world, RADS seems like one of many companies that stand to benefit from the continued strength we see. I don't think it'll end anytime soon. However, that is not to say that share prices will only go up from here.

All best,

icepal
No. of Recommendations: 1
I know a few of RAD personnel, also had dealings with them in a few projects. Customers, (we are a supplier too in a joint effort) were sold on capabilities, dates, and costs that could not be obtained but were used to sink the hook on the deals with Fortune 500 companies - great spin for business press. A lot of resource has since been burned with nothing to show from it for the customer to actually take delivery on.

Engineers knew the reality before the deal was cast, but marketing & sales were driven to meet business plans that necessitated too optimistic a schedule based upon, at that time mere vapor ware. In this case it was a joint marketing mascarade, not of RADs sole doing. But I have seen evidence I suspect is elsewhere within their announcements too. RADs has the talent in their technical ranks IF they apply it to obtainable stretch product development that does in fact generate sales dollars from products delivered not just news releases.
Advertisement