Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Excuse me, but industry wide (and I know, I worked in support), the numbers are far lower. An average support call takes 30-40 minutes. Even allowing that MSFT calls take twice that, are you seriously implying that MSFT support personnel are making at least $50/hr?

As you probably know, the total costs of doing business are more than just labor costs. Most tech support positions pay $10-20/hr., not counting soc. security taxes and additional cost-of-labor expenses (the vendor's cut and/or benefits such as health insurance, etc)
but that is only a part of the cost of any call.

Training, documentation for support, consulation with colleagues in many cases, telephone, computer costs, administrative overhead, office space, and so on are all additional costs that increase as technical support headcount increases. (I'm leaving out dozens of categories I'm sure). Each call generated contributes to the required headcount to support a product and therefore the per-call cost goes up.

BTW, although I never worked for tech support, my first guess based on a bluescreen would be a device driver-related problem. If you got a GPF or IPF caused by an invalid call to an exported function in kernel32.dll that merely shut down an application, of course, that's a different thing.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement