Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Excuse me if I jump in...

>>I did find an article on WomensFinance.com that said because distributions have already been taxed, any amount that was reinvested should be deducted from the proceeds of a sale. It hadn't seemed right to me that they would be taxed twice!<<

They're not being taxed twice. The article is correct. Any amount that is reinvested is DEDUCTED from the PROCEEDS. Usually, this is written "any amount that is reinvested is ADDED to the BASIS." This is the same thing. However, it is better to "add to the basis" because the IRS knows how much you sold your shares for and is looking for your tax return to match its records.

If you "deduct from the proceeds", your numbers will never match the IRS and you're certain to get a letter requesting an explanation.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement