UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolishCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 766  
Subject: Re: LouAnn Too Easy on Fat-Peddlers Date: 7/16/2003 12:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
ExistentialFool,

First, I don't consider myself one who doesn't "have a problem making healthy decisions." Au contraire! It is a daily struggle to eat grilled chicken, tuna, oatmeal and protein bars and shakes, rather than cheeseburgers, ice cream sundaes, and the myriad of other fattening foods that presents itself each day. I do so because I choose to do so.

Second, advertising doesn't create addiction. It might create desire, but not addicition. No one is addicted to Big Macs. A person might really, really like them, but "lard-o" is not addicted to them. So how about a little self-control from the obese crowd instead of looking for the easy payday.

Because that is all that our court system has established: a mechanism for people to avoid individual responsibility. Why should I try to do what's right when I can easily dial up a lawyer who will file a multi-million dollar lawsuit on my behalf? So-called "lawyer bashing" is an appropriate response to those who seek to play the system for their own benefit.

Last, the "price tag to society" is only there because of our socialized medical system. But who else should we throw in jail along with the drug dealers and Big Mac makers? Probably car manufacturers, because 50,000 people a year are killed using them, and we all know the addicition car ads create in people. I mean, look at all that small-type "professional driver on closed course" disclaimers that appear in the ads: it's really a ruse to get people to drive real fast after buying the car.

And let's not forget the amount of productivity that is sapped from our economy because of paper cuts. I'm sure those dastardly executives at International Paper and Boise Cascade really do know how to make a less lethal sheet of paper, but are out to get us to use more of their product: you can't really use a piece of paper that has a blood blot on it. You gotta throw it away and start on a new piece!

There's also the maiming that occurs each and every time some do-it-yourselfer picks up a hammer and whacks his thumb with it (not to mention the coarsening of society from the stream of invective that inevitably follows that hammer blow). Why, not only the manufacturers, but those seedy "dealers" in orange and blue aprons, the execs at Home Depot and Lowes ought to be throw in jail too. They ought to be locked away for facilitating these crimes against society.

Well, we can outlaw just about everything in society because everything has some inherent risk attached to it. But society can't function that way. You've got to allow the individual to make a choice, even if it's a poor one. And tubby has to accept the results of his decisions. Giving him a huge lawsuit settlement won't change his habits; more than likely he'll just cram another Krispy Kreme donut (or a dozen of them) into his mouth.

The question is not why should corporations be given a free pass, but rather, why should people who can't control their emotions be enriched at an even greater and more terrible cost to society?

Rich

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement