UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 311073  
Subject: Re: CR info lingering after 11 YEARS Date: 1/15/2003 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

You wrote, Is there a site that lists contact info for the various CRA's?

Yes. The first part of this board's FAQ contains the info. ( http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16327282 ) You should browse through the entire FAQ; but here is the paragraph pertaining to your question:

There are three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax (www.equifax.com), Experian (www.experian.com), and Trans Union (www.transunion.com). A general guideline is to pull your report from each agency once a year to check for errors or inaccuracies. If you live in certain states, or have recently been denied credit or employment due to your credit report, you are entitled to one from the appropriate agency for free.

Also you wrote, The various amounts weren't much, but when you're young and out of work even a couple of bucks is a lot of money. I have the money today to reimburse and ethically would like to do so but after reading posts here I'm reluctant to surface and repay as this would trigger a new 'last activity' date.

Your resurfacing won't trigger anything by itself. The real question is, Does anyone have a judgement against you? A judgement is a court order and as such, is a public record. Your credit report will list any judgements.

If it's been 11 years, you probably have nothing to worry about. You're probably past the Statute Of Limitations (SOL) on the debt for just about any State in the Union. If you are past the SOL and they've taken no legal action and you can live with yourself, there's no practical reason to repay the debt. Simply file a dispute with the CRA stating that the information is older than 7 years and should be dropped. They may or may not try to verify it again; but if they do, there's nothing the creditor will be able to do about it unless they lie. And if they do that, you can take them to court and sue them for damages.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.