UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lanshark Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/27/2007 9:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It's legal, in a roundabout way. The local Valero gas stations have decided to modify their signs so that the $2.87 that's posted at the highway is a cash price. When you get to the pump, you see that the credit price is an extra six cents per gallon.

Well, Valero has just lost me as a customer. There are gas stations within sight of these Valero stations that don't charge extra for credit cards, so I'll patronize them instead.

If it were an actual discount, I could understand, but they're charging the same price as their competitors, and they take credit cards for the same price.

- Lan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindapanzo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253675 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/27/2007 10:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Most of our local gas stations (Chicago suburbs) are now posting a discount price first (with the purchase of a car wash). Some even post "price with rebate" first, if you pay with their company's credit card. It's getting tough to tell at a glance what the real price is, as the fine print is, well, very small.

Wow!! $2.87. I'd take that price in a minute. $3.59 here, at the cheap stations. Close to $4.00 for super..

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253682 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/27/2007 11:10 PM
I wish places around here gave cash discounts!

By the way, accepting credit cards is a courtesy (IMO) and costs the retailer a percentage. I don't see anything wrong with them offereing a discount for cash, although they could tell you that before you get to the pump.

Love
Loving

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253686 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/28/2007 1:45 AM
Almost all stations here (in CA) charge more for credit. It's the norm. But they all POST the two prices. No surprises at the pump.

Author: esbita Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253697 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/28/2007 11:57 AM
If the gas stations that charge different prices DON'T require cash customers to pre-pay, heck, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather just pump, go in, and pay cash for my gas. It's potentially having to stand in line twice (once to pay, once to get change if I overestimated) that ticks me off.

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253699 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/28/2007 12:31 PM
I'm in MA and I've only seen one station that charged a different amount for credit than cash, and I didn't noticed until after I put my card in. It was also when I was driving a rental Dodge Nitro (DO NOT GET NITRO, THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO LEARNED TO DRIVE ON AN EXPLORER) which sucked down the gas.

WRJ

Author: lanshark Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 253703 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 5/28/2007 12:43 PM
Loving,

I have seen a couple of places that would advertise one price in the big numbers you can see from the road, and a second sign that said there was a 5 or 6 cent discount for cash, or using their proprietary card.

I guess I find this method more palatable, rather than pull up the pump and have to double-check the sign at the pump because that's where the fine print is buried. By then, we've pretty much committed to getting the gas.

I also think it should be a real discount. Why should I pay $2.93 to use my credit card when the station across the street will let me use my credit card for $2.87 that Valero claims is a "cash discount".

I understand it's legal, and will let these stations know how I feel about their decision by going elsewhere.

- Lan

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 254215 of 308881
Subject: Re: Extra Cost for Credit Date: 6/9/2007 9:18 AM
By then, we've pretty much committed to getting the gas.

??

I think you are only committed to buying it once you have pumped it!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement