UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42358  
Subject: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/17/2012 12:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Letting kids sleep a little longer may help improve their behavior and make them less restless in school, according to a new study.

On the flip side, cutting back on kids' time asleep seems to make them more likely to cry, lose their temper and become frustrated, according to the researchers, who published their findings in the journal Pediatrics on Monday.

"You can think about it from a lot of different angles. What we are showing here is that it can go both ways in terms of behavior and academic performance," said Reut Gruber, of Montreal's McGill University and Douglas Research Center, who led the study.""

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/extra-sleep-may-improve-ki...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41973 of 42358
Subject: Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/17/2012 3:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
OCD

cutting back on anyone's time asleep seems to make them more likely to cry, lose their temper and become frustrated,

peace & must have at least 5-1/2 hours
t

chronic non-proper sleeper

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41974 of 42358
Subject: Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/17/2012 7:22 AM
Recommendations: 0
I never have a problem sleeping. Give me a marble floor in the middle of Grand Central Station and I can fall asleep.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41975 of 42358
Subject: Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/17/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 4
"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Letting kids sleep a little longer may help improve their behavior and make them less restless in school, according to a new study.

I love the way that they simply say to "add sleep" for their children and "letting" them sleep longer may improve their behavior.

I have a boy between seven and eleven, the ages of the study. In fact, I have two.

No matter WHAT I do, they sleep exactly as long as THEY want to. My younger one especially. If I put him to bed earlier, he gets up earlier. Even if I do not wake him on school mornings, he frequently simply gets up, gets out of bed, and gets dressed. Sometimes before MY alarm.

Saturday and Sunday mornings, doubly so.

We have purchased blackout curtains for his room. I close his door to eliminate extraneous noises from waking him. But bing! Off goes his internal alarm clock and up he gets.

I've noticed that my eleven year old is now sleeping more, but he's also definitely moving towards/into puberty and is having a lot of physical changes take place, so I'm not surprised.

But the whole idea that I'm the one controlling how much my kid sleeps amuses me.

GSF

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41976 of 42358
Subject: Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/17/2012 5:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
But the whole idea that I'm the one controlling how much my kid sleeps amuses me.

I've gone on record as having kids who wake up well before i'd like them to, no matter how i tinker with their bedtimes. However, there are parents out there who don't really monitor their kids' sleep needs, allowing* them later bedtimes and having to wake them up in the morning, creating a cycle of sleep deprivation.

Since i worship at the altar of sleep schedules, i read the article and thought, "This is news?" But then i think of friends and acquaintances who take a lackadaisical approach to naps and bedtimes and haven't thought about a possible connection with their kids' behavioral and/or health issues. Maybe a few of them will read this study and try something new.

* There are exceptions, of course, where later bedtimes might be a necessity based on work/school schedules.

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41977 of 42358
Subject: Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date: 10/18/2012 10:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
I've gone on record as having kids who wake up well before i'd like them to, no matter how i tinker with their bedtimes. However, there are parents out there who don't really monitor their kids' sleep needs, allowing* them later bedtimes and having to wake them up in the morning, creating a cycle of sleep deprivation.

Séamus was in my room sitting on my head watching Riders of Berk while I slept waiting for my alarm to go off.

But I would agree that there are parents who don't seem to know this. We often could spot it going out to eat. In general, kids who are out at 6:30 PM are better behaved than ones who get there at 8:30 PM. Not that we get to eat out late much since we would need someone to watch our kids. Kids in restaurants never bothered me until I had my own. Now I cringe, and think 'For the love of all that is Holy get that kid under control or take him outside, you are giving the rest of us a bad name'.

I'm with you Snippee, I also wondered if this article was written by Obviousman. We see it now with Séamus since he dropped his nap. He wont take one unless he is really tuckered out. Somedays I almost want to give him a spot of Benadryl to send him down, but I don't. I've also seen parents who seem to keep their kids up way too late. Sometimes I've seen this with parents who both work outside the home. They don't want to come home just in time to start bedtime. Since they are getting the child up in the moring for daycare, the little one really isn't getting enough sleep.

Ford

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement