UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (89) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883923  
Subject: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/12/2012 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There are more, but how many of these would you try?

- Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants.
- Instead of throwing away your coffee grounds, add a pinch of fresh coffee to the old ones and perk another pot.
- Cut open your toothpaste tube after you've squeezed all you can out of it. "You'll get an extra week's worth," Haynes says.
- Kill your cable bill and subscribe to services like Netflix that allow you to watch what you want through your gaming console, Mohammed suggests.
- Keep electrical appliances and gadgets unplugged whenever possible.
- Look for the deep discounts on out-of-season decorations, discontinued gadgets, and about-to-expire food that's still good. You don't have to dumpster dive to get something for almost free.
- Don't be afraid to ask for a discount. "I've called and had the electricity bill lowered," Mohammed says. "I just called and asked."

But the cheapskates agree that their biggest tips are to stop worrying about what other people think, stay open-minded, and believe that every little thing matters.

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/lessons-tlcs-extreme-cheap...

Though I restarted cable for a bundled package deal, that's probably the most cost saving
idea among the ones listed.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868072 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/12/2012 6:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
Kill your cable bill and subscribe to services like Netflix

Cancelled cable, and replaced it with an antenna.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868073 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/12/2012 9:51 PM
Recommendations: 4
There's extreme and then there in crazy. Some of these people are crazy. And I don't care how many catsup packets you take, you aren't going to pay off your house that way.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868075 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/12/2012 10:24 PM
Recommendations: 0
- Cut open your toothpaste tube after you've squeezed all you can out of it. "You'll get an extra week's worth," Haynes says.

I don't do it with toothpaste, but I do do it with beauty products like moisturizer and facial sunscreen

- Kill your cable bill and subscribe to services like Netflix that allow you to watch what you want through your gaming console, Mohammed suggests.

My ex-bf is an early-adopter to Roku, once he got that, he cut FIOS - he eventually got just network stations via FIOS because antenae versions didn't give him clear reception for Redskins games.

Save on your water bill by putting a brick in your toilet's tank; you'll use less water with every flush.

About a month after moving into my house I needed to look in one of the tanks of the toilets, and I found a filled bottle of water that's off-setting it so it uses less water - I left it in there.

I thought I was the ONLY one still using a 1st generation iPhone, but when I was talking to my company's VP of Operations over buying the iPhone 5, I learned he too is buying it to replace his 1st generation iPhone.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868077 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 12:41 AM
- Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants.
This is stealing.

- Instead of throwing away your coffee grounds, add a pinch of fresh coffee to the old ones and perk another pot.

Don't do these. I actually did the unplug thing for a while, but it was a pain in the butt.

- Don't be afraid to ask for a discount. "I've called and had the electricity bill lowered," Mohammed says. "I just called and asked."
- Look for the deep discounts on out-of-season decorations, discontinued gadgets, and about-to-expire food that's still good. You don't have to dumpster dive to get something for almost free.

I do all of these.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868081 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 3:07 AM
Recommendations: 6
The thing about these articles, is that I read them and either disagree with the cost/benefit/ethics of doing these things OR it is already my way of life, and not even ONE mention of washing out ziploc bags...

peace & preaching to the choir
t

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868084 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 12:38 PM
"stop worrying about what other people think"???

I think that they are crazy impolite idiots, lacking any sense of proportion. There are a lot more important things to think about than running out of the fast food place with condiment packages. And I enjoy the cable programs.

There are more important things to think about, and I really think that the energy spend on this kind of nonsense would be better spent on trying to figure out how to get a better job. Although, of course, I would probably not hire anybody who took condiment packages from the fast food place. It shows a really bad sense of proportion.

We did hire a real cheapskate once, and he spent more time trying to be cheap than actually doing the work he was assigned. He did not last long.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868085 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 12:50 PM
Although, of course, I would probably not hire anybody who took condiment packages from the fast food place. It shows a really bad sense of proportion

There's a small, local fast food chain near called Kelly's Roast Beef.

http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/

They don't hand out condiment packages. You tell them what you want on your sandwich and they make it that way. If you want ketchup on your fries you go over to the stand where they have plastic utensils and napkins and so forth, and you pump the amount of ketchup you want into a little paper cup.

I don't know if they always did this, or if they decided to do it after too many patrons started rushing out with zillions of condiment packages.

Nancy

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868086 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 2:50 PM
I have a friend who takes the condiment packages. What a drag!!!

Donna (who prefers the jar or bottle in my frige)

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868087 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 3:02 PM
<i<- Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants. I don't get packets for this reason, but if they give me too many I keep them in a drawer in the kitchen and try to use them.

Nope - coffee grounds don't work that way. Maybe if you use a crazy amount of cream or sugar you won't notice.

Nope.

Did this for a while, mainly due to Comcast's inability to provide a reliable service. Now have fios.

Not unplugged, but I do use the standby feature of our computers, and try to turn stuff off when possible. Most modern chargers don't draw a noticable amount of electicity (I have a kill-o-watt meter and have checked - some older ones registered 1 watt, but even having several newer charger plugged in did not even draw a single watt)

Yes, mainly wrapping paper and decorations; and a bunch of baby clothes.

Nope.

I wouldn't consider some of these 'extreme cheapskates' unless taken to the extreme

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868089 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 4:16 PM
I would like to add, if you are 50 years of age or older, ask if there is a senior discount (particularly if you are over 60). I ask everywhere I go, and surprisingly, a majority of the places do offer at least a 10% discount, although they do not advertise it.

Donna (who learned this from her mother)

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868090 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 5:28 PM
I cannot see us giving up our FIOS even when we retire. I know it's expensive but we are not movie goers and prefer the comfort of our own living room and big flat screen TV to paying $10 each for a movie and having to listen to people making noise eating their munchies.
Our internet is also invaluable. FIOS has just come to our area and we are delighted with it. Unfortunately it is not available in the area that we wish to retire to.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868091 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 9:26 PM
I do pick up horseradish packets at Arby's a couple times a year. I have a recipe that calls for a tablespoon of horseradish sauce but I don't make it often enough to buy even the smallest size container. I doubt if I've used more than 2 or 3 tablespoons a year in the last 5 years. DH likes their sandwiches but doesn't like horseradish so I figure it's a trade off.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868092 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 10:09 PM
I do pick up horseradish packets at Arby's a couple times a year. I have a recipe that calls for a tablespoon of horseradish sauce but I don't make it often enough to buy even the smallest size container. I doubt if I've used more than 2 or 3 tablespoons a year in the last 5 years. DH likes their sandwiches but doesn't like horseradish so I figure it's a trade off.

I think the extra packet or 2 when you're already buying something is OK - even if you're going to use it on something else. I don't go there often, but if Boston Market had the mustard sauce in packets that they put on their Carver sandwiches, I'd pick up a couple extra - I can't figure out how they make it, it's creamier than any other mustard.
If someone (not saying this is what you do) stops into an establishment just to pick up packets when they're not buying something, or thinks buying something means they can take all the packets than it becomes "cheap" and stealing IMO.

I feel the difference between "frugal" and "cheap" is that frugal is something that's mainly around the individual being more economical with what they have or buy or negotiating a fair price in a market that expects or is open to negotiating/discounts without affecting others. Being "cheap" IMO is when what someone is doing directly hurts someone else - such as taking all the condiment packets hurting a business or trying to negotiate contract work at cost where the person doing the work gets no profit.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868093 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 10:37 PM
I think the extra packet or 2 when you're already buying something is OK - even if you're going to use it on something else. I don't go there often, but if Boston Market had the mustard sauce in packets that they put on their Carver sandwiches, I'd pick up a couple extra - I can't figure out how they make it, it's creamier than any other mustard.

I've run into only one creamy mustard. Nance's. Could that be what you're looking for?

http://brfoods.elsstore.com/view/category/3342-nance-s-musta...

Nancy

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868094 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 11:04 PM
How about this:

http://must-a-kraut.com/

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868095 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/13/2012 11:27 PM
This reminds me of an e-mail I sent a friend the other day....talking about purchasing a gallon of fat-free, no hormone, no antibiotic milk on sale for $2.99 per gallon, and a fresh loaf of whole-wheat bread at the bread store for $.80 including tax. As a note, this particular bread store sells fresh bread as well as day-old bread.

In any event, the total savings for both is about $3.60. I said if you can save $3.60 per week, that comes to $187.20 per year, or the equivalent of about 52 gallons of gas. That's a LOT. For my Volvo, it would be 2.708 tanks full of gas.

My mother got me onto this, computing what small savings will be upon one year. I'm not a cheapskate, by any means, but when I can save enough for 2.708 tanks of gasoline per year, I'll do it. Of course, this is not possible all the time. Yes, for the bread store, but the milk is only on sale at one particular store (Fresh Market) about 3 times per year, and the sale prices are available on each Tuesday of the month. Fortunately, the bread store is on my way to town, taking a different route, and Fresh Market is 1.5 miles from my house in a small shopping center that I visit almost every day. At other times, I purchase my milk at Publix on Wednesday (Senior Day) and get 5% off.

My friends used to laugh at my computing, but now, they are doing it themselves.

Donna

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868096 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 4:09 AM
We did hire a real cheapskate once, and he spent more time trying to be cheap than actually doing the work he was assigned. He did not last long.

I had an employee that took the principle "consider the company's money as you would your own" seriously when it came to travel expenses. So he did go out of his way to save the company's money but showed a lack of perspective. One thing he did was use a remote parking lot for when we left from the local airport; that saved $10 per day but added an additional hour each way to the trip (taking the shuttle to the remote lot, etc.). So for a short 2 day trip he would have to leave the office earlier and came back later. Basically, the company was paying for his labor time (a lot more than $20) to save on the expense report.

There is a balance between saving and expedience - especially when it involves someone else's money.

Back to the original post: I consider the condiment packets to be someone else's property and people who take loads of them home instead of buying your own mustard are just stealing.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868097 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 9:22 AM
This reminds me of an e-mail I sent a friend the other day....

I am always amazed at the people who waltz out of the local Starbucks with two cups of coffee which I happen to know can cost more than one whole pound of coffee at the Supermarket. These same people complain about money. One of them had to get a part-time job to supplement their income. I estimate that they might be spending a couple of hundred dollars a month at Starbucks (for two people, that is)
How many hours working part-time does that translate into???
I agree that it's all those "little things" that add up.
I will be very aware of every dollar spent when we retire early next year. I will want to know how much it costs to do one load of laundry and whether or not I should continue to buy liquid Tide or Kirkland detergent.
I will finally have to become an educated consumer once those regular paychecks come to a halt. It will be challenging but we started our marriage with very little in the way of material things. I just want a roof over our heads and food on the table. These days thats alot as I know alot of people don't even have that.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868098 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 10:04 AM
We get a fixed food perdiem when we travel. It varies depending on where you go. The Washington food perdiem is higher than that for Rock Island, IL for example. The deal is you get what you get. If you want to eat at a 4 star resturant, and cost you more than that, you pay the difference out of pocket.

The opposite is true also, and I worked with a guy who would eat virtually nothing on travel, or stay in places that included a breakfast bar, grab a few extra things and eat those for lunch and dinner, so he could pocket the entire food per diem (which is legal and allowable by Fed Govt travel rules by the way.)

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868099 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 10:11 AM
so he could pocket the entire food per diem (which is legal and allowable by Fed Govt travel rules by the way.)

===================================

Wasn't the unused portion taxable income at one time? Have you been with the Federal Gov. long enough to remember that? I think back in the 1970s

Jean

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868100 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 4
This is stealing.

It is also false economy. Each at home rather than buy fast food will save alot more than stealing condiment packages.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868101 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 12:00 PM
I am always amazed at the people who waltz out of the local Starbucks with two cups of coffee which I happen to know can cost more than one whole pound of coffee at the Supermarket. These same people complain about money. One of them had to get a part-time job to supplement their income.

There is a certain amount of addiction, and with addiction is denial. If you are in debt and trying to lose weight, a daily trip to your coffee or smoothie vendor of choice is hurting both goals.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868102 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 12:01 PM
I need a keyboard that can grammar check.

"Eat at home" not "Each at home"

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868103 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 12:15 PM
"Wasn't the unused portion taxable income at one time? Have you been with the Federal Gov. long enough to remember that? I think back in the 1970s"

I strted in '81, and I've never been issued a W-2 for travel reimbursement, though it is possible that they did so before hand. In fact during my 31 years, I've never even heard it discussed. And I'll tell you, we get lots, and lots of ethics training on stuff like this, and it isn't even part of that discussion.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868104 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 12:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
I agree that it's all those "little things" that add up.
I will be very aware of every dollar spent when we retire early next year... I will finally have to become an educated consumer once those regular paychecks come to a halt.

Just think of how much easier retirement would have been if you had always paid attention. Why is money different from a paycheck than from savings/investing ?

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868105 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 12:40 PM
Just think of how much easier retirement would have been if you had always paid attention. Why is money different from a paycheck than from savings/investing ?

I understand your logic, but there are always limits. Free time is limited when working. Saving every penny possible isn't living. There are always trade offs.

There is also the very real possibility of not living until retirement.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868106 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:00 PM
If you are in debt and trying to lose weight, a daily trip to your coffee or smoothie vendor of choice is hurting both goals.
For weight, not necessarily. If - like I do - you drink plain old coffee, then there's not much weight risk involved.

As for debt - yes probably a bad idea, but a coffee or two isn't going to shift the needle much unless it's an everyday thing. I am pretty darn frugal, and make coffee at home every AM. But on weekends every week or two I might go out and have a Philz Coffee, which is a fun indulgence. But that $3.25 every 3 weeks? Not that big a deal.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868107 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:02 PM
I understand your logic, but there are always limits. Free time is limited when working. Saving every penny possible isn't living. There are always trade offs.

There is also the very real possibility of not living until retirement.

True, but the particular poster was talking about the difference between buying one brand of laundry detergent over another - if you want to stick with a particular brand, even if it's a little more expensive, it doesn't take much extra free time to try using a little less, see if your clothes come out just as clean, and if so you've just reduced your per-load cost of detergent.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868108 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:02 PM
When I was W2 for a private company all my travel reimbursement showed up on my W2 as non-taxable income. And now that I pay myself from my S-Corp I do the same thing and it works the same way. It helps the company track travel payouts, but are not taxable to employee.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868109 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:10 PM
There is a certain amount of addiction, and with addiction is denial. If you are in debt and trying to lose weight, a daily trip to your coffee or smoothie vendor of choice is hurting both goals.

That may be but the simpler answer might be that some people are just too darn lazy to make their own coffee especially in a city where there might be a Starbucks on every other corner.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868110 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:11 PM
<<I understand your logic, but there are always limits. Free time is limited when working. Saving every penny possible isn't living. There are always trade offs.

There is also the very real possibility of not living until retirement.>>

On occasion, I have reviewed my expenses and decided that INCREASING them would improve my overall lifelong quality of life.

I've never had an issue with saving. In my case budgeting helped identify areas where ADDITIONAL SPENDING was a good idea.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868111 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:14 PM
There is also the very real possibility of not living until retirement. <i?

REALLY ? Of course, I had no idea.

Let's see. My father died when I was 25 and he was 59. My sister died when I was 27 and she was 30. My husband died when he was 59 and I was 56.

Yeah, this is really a new thought for me.

There's a wide divide between paying attention to finances and saving every penny.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868112 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 1:24 PM
When I was W2 for a private company all my travel reimbursement showed up on my W2 as non-taxable income.

I work for a private company for the past 2 years, and the W-2 I receive does not include expense reimbursements. I don't know if they're supposed to by law, if there's a threshold that has to be met before they're required to that maybe I didn't reach, or if it's just optional and they choose not to.

I don't really see why they would since what's the difference between the company buying my plane ticket for a work trip via their corporate card (which wouldn't show up on my W2) versus reimbursing me if I put the cost of the plane ticket on my personal cc (both of which have happened over the course of the 2 years).

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868113 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 2:48 PM
As for debt - yes probably a bad idea, but a coffee or two isn't going to shift the needle much unless it's an everyday thing. I am pretty darn frugal, and make coffee at home every AM.

Occassionally, not a big deal for either cost or weight. I did state daily.

Plain coffee doesn't have much for calories. Other drinks can carry 300-600 calories. Daily they do make a difference.

When someone is struggling with debt, I do question the wisdom of spending $30 a week plus commute costs.

When I was in weight watchers at work, a co-worker wanted to lose weight and also had debt from previous unemployment. We had some discussions about the calories in what was commonly a daily drink. Shifting to a lower calorie drink wasn't considered an option.

It would be easier for me to lose weight, if I had been drinking high calorie drinks. Since I was already only drinking unsweetened tea and water, there wasn't the option to drop a few hundred calories a day by switching to low calorie drinks.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868114 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 2:54 PM
the simpler answer might be that some people are just too darn lazy to make their own coffee
Store coffee is pretty different than home coffee. I make great home coffee in my little stovetop espresso pot. But when I buy out, I buy the stuff I can't do or can't be bothered with because of specialty ingredients at home - mochas, vietnamese coffee, etc.

And I very much appreciate the storebought ready-made coffee when traveling.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868115 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 2:58 PM
Oh, I should have clarified the above statement a bit more. I don't always buy fancy coffee. But I never buy milk at home. Even if I buy a pint, it goes bad before it gets used. So I like being able to get coffee with milk when I buy it out. It's something I do rarely as I have trouble digesting it, but it is good in coffee! I like being able to get that out and not have it at home.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868117 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 3:04 PM
Even if I buy a pint, it goes bad before it gets used.

Have you tried low lactic milk?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868119 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 3:41 PM
I'm suspicious of processed foods. I'd rather just drink it rarely and in small quantities.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868120 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 4:05 PM
That may be but the simpler answer might be that some people are just too darn lazy to make their own coffee especially in a city where there might be a Starbucks on every other corner.

Maybe, I spent a week in Portland on a business trip. There was a Starbucks next to the hotel, and I had to pass it walking to and from the Max. I have to admit stopping, and getting a hot chocolate many nights.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868122 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 6:40 PM
I have to have a cup of coffee first thing when I wake up and that's usually at 5:45AM on weekdays. I cannot imagine having to wait until I got showered and dressed in order to go to the coffee shop for my coffee fix.
I buy Eight O'clock coffee in big bags from Amazon. I have yet to find a coffee that I like better!

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868124 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 9:57 PM
I strted in '81, and I've never been issued a W-2 for travel reimbursement, though it is possible that they did so before hand. In fact during my 31 years, I've never even heard it discussed. And I'll tell you, we get lots, and lots of ethics training on stuff like this, and it isn't even part of that discussion.
==============================

Thanks, it wasn't part of the W-2, it was if you are audited you have to prove you spent this amount. This was also Military Pay not Civilian. Could have changed in the 70s, there were big changes then. It probably wasn't worth it to investigate anyway.

Jean

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868125 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/14/2012 10:14 PM
I don't really see why they would since what's the difference between the company buying my plane ticket for a work trip via their corporate card (which wouldn't show up on my W2) versus reimbursing me if I put the cost of the plane ticket on my personal cc (both of which have happened over the course of the 2 years).
===========================================

It's more when they pay you a set amount for a plane ticket and you drive, spending way less, rather than a reimbursement.

It occurs more in per diem (food and lodging).

I ran into it when traveling from one duty station to another. I would drive, vacationing along the way. The military paid $X.xx, no matter what the mode of travel.

I just remember them telling me to keep my receipts, because I'd be taxed on the difference between what my actual costs were and what I was paid. But like I said, that was a long time ago.

Jean

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868144 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/15/2012 3:24 PM
The thing about these articles, is that I read them and either disagree with the cost/benefit/ethics of doing these things OR it is already my way of life, and not even ONE mention of washing out ziploc bags...

Or taking leftover food from room service trays....

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868148 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/15/2012 4:36 PM
This is stealing.

That was my first thought, too, but then I remembered the huge number of soy sauce packets we have in the cupboard from our Chinese food takeout that we get a couple times a month. They give us way more than we need for our order, and Gary forgets to tell them we don't want any with our order.

I also remember when a certain fast food hamburger place used to be pretty lenient in enforcing their strict condiment specs, and finding that my fries were buried under about a dozen ketchup packets because the window cashier just grabbed a clawful and dropped them in there.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868149 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/15/2012 4:41 PM
That was my first thought, too, but then I remembered the huge number of soy sauce packets we have in the cupboard from our Chinese food takeout that we get a couple times a month. They give us way more than we need for our order, and Gary forgets to tell them we don't want any with our order.

That is a lot different than going to a bin in the takeout restaurant and grabbing a bunch on the way out the door. I don't think you would ever consider it stealing if the business puts in extra packets of condiments or extra napkins.

PSU

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868159 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/15/2012 7:30 PM
I'll admit that I didn't read the original article, so I have no idea if that was what was really being promoted.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868165 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/15/2012 10:12 PM
"I have yet to find a coffee that I like better!"

Try this:

http://www.rookcoffeeroasters.com/coffee_s/25.htm

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868175 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/16/2012 9:17 AM

This is the main one I've done. I do also buy christmas paper the day after christmas, but lots of people do that.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868176 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/16/2012 9:42 AM
This is stealing.

That was my first thought, too, but then I remembered the huge number of soy sauce packets we have in the cupboard from our Chinese food takeout that we get a couple times a month.

McDonalds used to put like 10 ketchup packets in take out bags. They don't anymore, I guess they decided that was real money, but when they did it would have been more ketchup than I would use in a year. It's not stealing when it comes with the food, but if you went somewhere specifically to take a bunch of them then it would be.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868227 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/17/2012 12:49 PM
"About a month after moving into my house I needed to look in one of the tanks of the toilets, and I found a filled bottle of water that's off-setting it so it uses less water - I left it in there."

This is something I learned from experience.

Do NOT use a brick. Over time, bricks can erode/deteriorate and will break down into little pieces, which can get caught under your "flapper" and cause leakage.

Use a plastic bottle with a plastic cap filled with water. You can leave it in there for decades.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868231 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/17/2012 1:22 PM
"I think that they are crazy impolite idiots, lacking any sense of proportion. There are a lot more important things to think about than running out of the fast food place with condiment packages. And I enjoy the cable programs."

The article did not say "STEAL condiment packages and refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants." It just said "Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants."

You go through a fast food drive-in and they will usually toss a bunch of ketchup or Taco Bell sauce or whatever into the bag. We save them in a drawer. Maybe once a year, I'll grab those packets and add them to my ketchup bottle while I'm watching a football game. It's not stealing, it's just using something rather than letting it go to waste.

"There are more important things to think about, and I really think that the energy spend on this kind of nonsense would be better spent on trying to figure out how to get a better job."

Yup, that's what most people do. Spend their entire lives trying to "get ahead" at their job until they finally get that carrot that's been hung in front of them. They figure if they just work hard enough, they'll keep climbing the ladder and achieve some level of success that will allow them to live their dream.

Problem is, the stress of the "job" often takes a toll on them and their family. They make it up by spending more and more on "stuff" to make themselves feel better. They try to win their children's love with more and more toys (to make up for the fact that Mommy and Daddy are never home, because they are out running the rat race). They spend tons of money on expensive vacations to "unwind" from "climbing the corporate ladder."

Most retire without achieving financial independence, regardless of how successful they've been at their "job." They spend their entire lives trying to climb the "job" ladder, only to find themselves broke and broken at age 65 or 70.

I've never liked going to a "job." Frankly, I'd rather live an LBYM lifestyle, save, and invest so that I don't need a "job."

I am an engineer. I made decent, but not fantastic, money at my "job." But I've NEVER busted my butt at my job. I did good work for 8-hours a day and that was it. I never did the things people do to "get ahead." I didn't work long hours, I didn't stock pile tons of degrees, I didn't volunteer for difficult tasks, I didn't go to all the professional events, I scrupulously avoided opportunities to move up to "management" (which always required longer work hours), I didn't even suck up to my bosses.

I was, to be completely honest, not considered "successful" at my job by many. I made less than most of my peers with similar educations and experience. And rightfully so, because I just wasn't trying as hard as they did.

But I do live very frugally. I buy very little. I am a master at fixing and repairing items. I do a lot of the "silly" little things mentioned in the article. I was able to save and invest despite my relatively low (compared to my peers) salary.

I was able to retire in my 40s, while my peers are still busting their butts and "chasing the dream." I now work part time as a consultant for a great company that lets me work as much, or as little, as I like- but I don't do it because I need the money, I donate most of the money to charities (largely animal shelters, like the first guy in the article)

Bottom line of this rant: Don't believe that increasing your income is necessarily the best way to go. Filling that ketchup bottle while watching a football game is far less stressful than busting your butt for a new job and a larger income, and one can do very well without chasing a high income "job."

Author: Mosquito7778 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868237 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/17/2012 3:57 PM
Recommendations: 6
You go through a fast food drive-in and they will usually toss a bunch of ketchup or Taco Bell sauce or whatever into the bag. We save them in a drawer. Maybe once a year, I'll grab those packets and add them to my ketchup bottle while I'm watching a football game. It's not stealing, it's just using something rather than letting it go to waste.

Why would you go to the trouble of moving food from a factory sealed package into an open container? Why save them up for a year instead of just using a couple packets when you need them?

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868311 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/19/2012 3:51 PM
I have exactly the same responses as Gingko.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868312 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/19/2012 3:53 PM
Arby's doesn't have horseradish. They have, "Horsey Sauce."

xtn

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868323 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/19/2012 10:50 PM
My father used to make home-mede horse-radish.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868325 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/20/2012 4:53 AM
"Why would you go to the trouble of moving food from a factory sealed package into an open container? Why save them up for a year instead of just using a couple packets when you need them?"

Because the packets are messy and annoying to use one at a time.

Open them in bulk with scissors and you can drain several packets at one time.

Use them individually, and you have to open each one, squeeze out the contents, then probably lay the still dripping packet on the table while you eat.

Just easier and more efficient to do a mass transfer of the contents.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868329 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/20/2012 11:17 AM
We buy stuff for the next year's holiday all the time. It's a luxury with all the storage space we have in the basement. (The previous owner installed a LOT of shelves.)

I bought Charley's Halloween costume for this year last November, and it seems to have backfired on me. He absolutely hates the one piece froggy coveralls (with hood). He hates hoods or hats, period. At least I am out only $3, not $15!

Author: solesister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868341 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/21/2012 10:19 PM
I pretty much agree w/MetroChick on "frugal" v. "cheap" - frugal people are careful with their own money, whereas cheap people try to save $$ by freeloading off of others. A person who eats the poor quality food at fast food restaurants is not getting much nutritional value for the mooney OR the calories - if s/he'd fix food at home, she could probably afford to splurge on a bottle of catsup once in a while. Recycled coffee grains don't make coffee; they make some kind of nasty brown water, but if it doesn't bother you to drink it and you're not serving it to me, what do I care? I've done the toothpaste thing in a pinch - also with tubes of hand lotion. I put up with cable b/c my husband likes it; don't have Netflix b/c I don't like services that deduct directly from your charge account; I've heard from someone who works at a bank that Nf is damned near impossible to cancel - can anyone confirm this?

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868342 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/21/2012 10:49 PM
I put up with cable b/c my husband likes it; don't have Netflix b/c I don't like services that deduct directly from your charge account; I've heard from someone who works at a bank that Nf is damned near impossible to cancel - can anyone confirm this?

I have Netflix automatically charged to my credit card account. I've never tried it using a bank account. I've cancelled my service several times and I've never had a problem - they have always stopped my service (and the charges) without any question.

I'm happy with Netflix but I don't necessarily find it a complete substitute for cable - I guess it depends on what you watch, but I like to watch shows on HGTV and the Food Network, and those are generally not available through Netflix or online. But if you watch more "traditional" TV shows, those are often available through Netflix.

Karen

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868345 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 12:07 PM
I've heard from someone who works at a bank that Nf is damned near impossible to cancel - can anyone confirm this?

I can't speak for how they does things now, but I cancelled my about 3 years ago with no problem.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868348 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 1:32 PM
I pretty much agree w/MetroChick on "frugal" v. "cheap" - frugal people are careful with their own money, whereas cheap people try to save $$ by freeloading off of others.

This is a good definition.

An in-law wanted "the family" to buy recreational property. Given the finances of "the family", it was easy to determine that noone else in the family had the money. My husband and I would be paying for it, and they would be only ones within a couple hours driving time. I tried ignore and gently discourage the issue, but eventually had to firmly say NO. The issue has not been raised again, but I am certain it is not forgotten.

We haven't bought recreation property because it wasn't a good choice for our finances, I don't want it and at least one family member would try to make it their permament residence (not the one who was trying to convince us to buy the property).

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868350 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 1:55 PM
I pretty much agree w/MetroChick on "frugal" v. "cheap" - frugal people are careful with their own money, whereas cheap people try to save $$ by freeloading off of others.
----------------
This is a good definition.

Am I being frugal or cheap if I grab a leftover donut from the break room after a morning meeting?

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868351 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 2:10 PM
Am I being frugal or cheap if I grab a leftover donut from the break room after a morning meeting?

If you work for the company that held the meeting, frugal.

If you wandering in off the street looking for orphaned donuts, cheap.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868356 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 3:11 PM

I vote for frugal (except for waistline). They are there for anyone to eat. If you take a dozen home, then you are cheap.

Author: solesister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868377 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/22/2012 8:43 PM
"An in-law wanted 'the family' to buy recreational property ... My husband and I would be paying for it, and they would be only ones within a couple hours driving time. I tried ignore and gently discourage ...but eventually had to firmly say NO. "

wow, that goes beyond cheap to a plain pushy attempt at freeloading. If you do ever decide to invest in recreational property, get a nice little place, just big enough for your immediate family, and buy it somewhere convenient to you.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868415 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/24/2012 3:08 PM

Or maybe that they don't want to waste an entire pot of brewed coffee if they only plan to drink one cup? I pick up starbucks occasionally during the week, but on the weekends I brew it at home.

However, I also have a boss who knows that I like Starbucks, so every so often he gives me a Starbucks gift card to offset the cost.

LWW

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868420 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/24/2012 7:28 PM
Or maybe that they don't want to waste an entire pot of brewed coffee if they only plan to drink one cup?

I'm sure this is heresy to serious coffee drinkers, but I don't understand why brewing a new pot even if you only want one cup right then is a problem. I'd just save the rest of the pot for the next day.

I realize that coffee tastes better when it is freshly brewed, but at the cost of coffee, whether brewing at home or buying at some place like Starbucks, I will save the pot from one day and reheat it to drink it the next day. I'm in the waste-not-want-not camp, and I prefer to brew coffee every other day because it is convenient and I can brew a full pot.

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868422 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/24/2012 8:10 PM
Or maybe that they don't want to waste an entire pot of brewed coffee if they only plan to drink one cup?

Easy enough to make one cup at a time: http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-6170-Hot-Shot-White/dp/B007W7Y...
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/...

YG
only makes a pot if we're having company

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868423 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/24/2012 8:41 PM
I'm in the waste-not-want-not camp

I'm in that camp too but reheated leftover coffee (particularly the next day) just doesn't work for me!

Which is probably why I now drink tea at home!

Christina

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868427 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/24/2012 11:22 PM
I'm sure this is heresy to serious coffee drinkers, but I don't understand why brewing a new pot even if you only want one cup right then is a problem. I'd just save the rest of the pot for the next day.

It is heresy. Next thing you know you'll be suggesting it is okay to drink Budweiser or use cottage cheese in lasagna.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868430 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 11:18 AM
I realize that coffee tastes better when it is freshly brewed, but at the cost of coffee, whether brewing at home or buying at some place like Starbucks, I will save the pot from one day and reheat it to drink it the next day. I'm in the waste-not-want-not camp, and I prefer to brew coffee every other day because it is convenient and I can brew a full pot.

I would give up coffee completely if I had to do that. I don't know if it's the brand we buy, or if it's just the way our brewer works, but our coffee gets really bitter within a few hours of having been brewed. I used to be able to drink it iced later on if I added a lot of sweetner and cream, but now that I don't do sugar or dairy, I don't think I could handle it.

LWW

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868431 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 11:21 AM
I would give up coffee completely if I had to do that. I don't know if it's the brand we buy, or if it's just the way our brewer works, but our coffee gets really bitter within a few hours of having been brewed.

Are you keeping it in the pot it was brewed in or in a thermos jug instead?

Nancy

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868432 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 12:05 PM
I'm just curious about something. For all you folks who won't reheat left-over coffee, is it just coffee you don't reheat, and throw out whatever is left in the pot? What about dinner left-overs? Do you use those, or throw out what is left?

We eat left-overs in my house, and I've not noticed the reheated coffee to be more bitter, although I do agree that the coffee is better on the day it is fresh. I don't use sugar in my coffee, so I'd think that I'd notice the bitterness.

I'm just curious if this is just for coffee, or if you don't do food left-overs either.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868434 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 12:23 PM
I'm just curious about something. For all you folks who won't reheat left-over coffee, is it just coffee you don't reheat, and throw out whatever is left in the pot? What about dinner left-overs? Do you use those, or throw out what is left?

It depends on the leftovers. Some leftovers taste close to the originally cooked food when reheated. Others food like chili or stew seems to improve after it is reheated. Other foods seriously decline in quality during reheating. One clear example is our homemade fettuccine alfredo. When originally made, the alfredo sauce is nice and creamy. The sauce will separate when cooling and look like a chunky mess after reheating. For me, leftover fettuccine alfredo goes straight into the garbage can.

PSU

Author: AmericanIdle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868436 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 1:20 PM
For all you folks who won't reheat left-over coffee, is it just coffee you don't reheat, and throw out whatever is left in the pot?

Pretty much. I find leftover coffee pretty, well, bad - what remains in the pot gets tossed out.

On the other hand, soups and stews, for instance are better the next day.

AI

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868437 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 3:22 PM
What about dinner left-overs? Do you use those, or throw out what is left?

You're kidding, right?

As the husband of a good friend of mine says: Leftovers are free meals!

Well, not exactly but sort of.

Christina, left-over lover who doesn't like reheated day-old coffee

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868438 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 4:04 PM
left-over lover

I don't think I can explain the image that raced through my brain when I read that.

Nancy

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868439 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 4:45 PM
Are you keeping it in the pot it was brewed in or in a thermos jug instead?

In the glass decanter.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868440 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 4:46 PM
For all you folks who won't reheat left-over coffee, is it just coffee you don't reheat, and throw out whatever is left in the pot? What about dinner left-overs? Do you use those, or throw out what is left?

Coffee is the only thing I don't reheat. Leftovers, however, are pretty few and far between since our son became a teenager.

LWW

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868441 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/25/2012 4:52 PM
glass decanter

For a period of time when I lived with my mother I would get up very early, make the coffee, drink a cup, then head off to work leaving the other cup in the decanter. My mother finally asked me to stop because the coffee was so awful by the time she woke up, but we experimented with one of those thermal carafes, and it worked out fine. So that might be something to try.

Nancy
Offer not available in all areas, title and transportation not included.

Author: swtgirl1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868447 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 5:04 PM
Why not give up drinking coffee altogether. Its nutrional value is limited and you can get along fine without it. This will save the cost of coffee, pots, cleaning the pots, filters etc...

Author: AmericanIdle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868448 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 5:59 PM
Why not give up drinking coffee altogether. Its nutrional value is limited and you can get along fine without it. This will save the cost of coffee, pots, cleaning the pots, filters etc...

Not the OP, but my wife and I really like our morning coffee. Totally worth the $1.50/day or so it costs.

AI

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868450 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 7:32 PM
You're kidding, right?

Nope, it was a serious question. My former next door neighbor used to throw out all the leftovers from every meal because her DH didn't like leftovers and didn't want them to be kept. He also wouldn't eat any meat that had been frozen, so her grocery bill was huge compared to mine even though we had the same family make-up because she'd throw out whatever was left over, and she had to grocery shop every week. I, on the other hand, always shopped all the sales and stuck it all in my freezer. I do agree that foods lose some flavor after being frozen, but it's not enough of a difference to me to offset the cost of not being able to shop the sales.

So I know people who always throw the leftovers, and wondered if those of you who throw out the remnants of a pot of coffee fell into that category. I can see that this is not typically true, but I just wasn't sure.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868451 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 8:23 PM
I see the words...

LWW

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868452 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 9:03 PM
I do agree that foods lose some flavor after being frozen, but it's not enough of a difference to me to offset the cost of not being able to shop the sales.

Most foods do not lose flavor after being frozen if they are properly prepared to be frozen. (I still love my vaccuum sealer.)

So I know people who always throw the leftovers, and wondered if those of you who throw out the remnants of a pot of coffee fell into that category. I can see that this is not typically true, but I just wasn't sure.

It's like comparing apples and oranges, IMHO.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868453 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 10/26/2012 9:21 PM
Recommendations: 7

For most folks who love their morning coffee, it's not the nutritional value that matters (although recent studies do suggest that there is nutritional value).

They LOVE (and sometimes feel that they NEED) their morning coffee.

And the cost really is minimal (as long as they're not buying it at Starbucks!!)

I think that having a cup of coffee in the morning (should one so desire) is definitely "Living well within most folks means"!

Christina

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868668 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 11/10/2012 1:42 AM
Get a French Press for brewing one or just several cups of coffee at a time.

Kahuna, CFA

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868676 of 883923
Subject: Re: Extreme cheapskates Date: 11/11/2012 8:57 AM
Get a French Press for brewing one or just several cups of coffee at a time.

We have one. I can't stand the mess of cleaning it up, so it sits in the cabinet.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (89) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement