UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885517  
Subject: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/23/2012 9:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Extreme couponer ATTACKED at dollar store by female manager who refused to honour 'wad of coupons'... and stoush is caught on tape

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237678/Missy-Monzo-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869007 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 12:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<When one of the couponers asked for a reason, she barks: 'I cannot now you can leave the building or I can call Germantown police.'>>

They should have left.

I certainly don't blame the manager for not wanting to deal with this customer.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869008 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 1:04 AM
Recommendations: 7
I certainly don't blame the manager for not wanting to deal with this customer.

The thing is, when your job involves dealing with the public, you don't really have the right to decide which customers you want to deal with. I worked in public libraries for several years, and there were some patrons we detested. (In one case three clerks stood in a circle trying to remember which person took care of her last time). But they still needed to have books checked in or out, their questions answered, and their problems solved. And even if you wanted to slug someone, we couldn't do that.

If store clerks and managers can't find a way of dealing with people they don't like, then trying to find a job where customer interaction is limited might be a better solution than punching a customer. I expect that this manager has already heard from her boss and is about to go job-hunting. It's annoying, and it isn't always fair, but businesses can't afford a reputation for hitting customers.

Nancy

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869009 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 1:15 AM
<< I certainly don't blame the manager for not wanting to deal with this customer.

The thing is, when your job involves dealing with the public, you don't really have the right to decide which customers you want to deal with.>>

Of course you do.

<<If store clerks and managers can't find a way of dealing with people they don't like, then trying to find a job where customer interaction is limited might be a better solution than punching a customer. >>

If you don't leave someone's property directly after being told to leave, they can use force to throw you out.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869010 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 1:25 AM
Of course you do.

If you own the company, yes. If you're just a clerk, no. Not unless there is an ongoing problem with one particular customer and your boss is willing to back you up.

The various low-paying jobs, whether it's fast food, retail, waiting on tables, CSR, or just dealing with the public, do not offer the option of refusing to wait on someone. I've worked in those jobs, I know other people who work in those jobs, and it doesn't matter if the customer throws books at your head; you cannot announce that you will not deal with someone.

It can be great training for controlling your temper.

So where did you work where you could refuse to deal with customers? Not the furnace repair business, that was your own business. I mean a job where you were paid by a boss to wait on customers.

Nancy

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869017 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 11:12 AM
The store manager is completely at fault. The article shows a sign that the store accepts coupons. It's not like it's a big secret anymore what "extreme couponers" do with using multiple coupons at the same time - there're TV shows about it. So if a store doesn't like it, they can create their own "store policy" against it. Since it doesn't sound like this store/chain had a policy against this type of couponing, than the manager/clerks needs to service these customers. It sounds like these customers had shopped at this store before, so if they slow down a checkout line, than either ask them to shop at a less busy time if possible, or the manager could've opened up a register (if any were being unused) to check them out without slowing down the checkout line for customers not using this amount of coupons.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869019 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 11:37 AM
Recommendations: 2
<< The store manager is completely at fault. The article shows a sign that the store accepts coupons. It's not like it's a big secret anymore what "extreme couponers" do with using multiple coupons at the same time - there're TV shows about it. So if a store doesn't like it, they can create their own "store policy" against it.>>

It seems obvious to me from the story that the person involved HAD come to the store the day before. Their coupons were rejected by the store at that time and they were ordered out of the store.

I have no issue with that. They tried to use their coupons and discovered that their rather aberrant strategy wasn't welcome at that store.

So what did they do? They CAME BACK AGAIN, DETERMINED TO PICK A FIGHT WHICH COULD BE RECORDED ON VIDEO.

Frankly I think the couponers who instigated a fight should be arrested for trespassing and disturbing the peace.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869020 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 12:27 PM
it. Since it doesn't sound like this store/chain had a policy against this type of couponing, than the manager/clerks needs to service these customers.

Stores can set their policies. Coupons are accepted, but the store can set a limit of the number of coupons per person per day.

A policy that limits coupons per day per customer to better serve all customers would have stopped the problem.

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869022 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 3:27 PM
If you don't leave someone's property directly after being told to leave, they can use force to throw you out.

Absent a physical attack or sufficiently violent verbal attack, it is unlikely the manger had the right to assault anyone. Force is reserved to the police department, whom the manager should have called before touching the customer.

Also, given the customers had cameras in hand and running, I suspect they are somewhat complicit in this specific incident. Do note, generally the rules are different in your home.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869023 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 3:29 PM
They should have left.

They did. Then the manager came outside the store and assulated the woman on the sidewalk.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869028 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/24/2012 6:25 PM
It seems obvious to me from the story that the person involved HAD come to the store the day before. Their coupons were rejected by the store at that time and they were ordered out of the store.

From the article:
The pair, who are members of the DeSoto COunty Coupon Club, taped the altercation after having a similar run in last week with the manager, Shauna Shipman, last week.

'The only purpose for hitting record was so when Dollar Tree called me back I had proof of how we were treated in the store,' Ms Hill said.

'We had no problem buying our products at any of the other Dollar Trees.'

So it sounds like this particular manager is denying coupon usage, while Dollar Tree as a corporation does not - which seems to be why the customers were recording the incident - to show proof of what this manager is doing. I don't know if you've ever worked retail for a chain - I have, and individual managers were not allowed to make their own rules to any coupons or discounting.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869098 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/26/2012 4:14 PM
The only specific limit that I am aware of is they will accept only two Internet Printed coupons per transaction.

However, they also have this on their website: "Management has the right to refuse any coupon or otherwise limit quantities."

They said that they had no problem redeeming their coupons on the same products at other stores. It sounds like they might be shelf clearers. Another article explains that they were buying 25 each of Advil and Olay bars. http://wtvr.com/2012/11/23/extreme-couponer-says-she-was-bea...

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869102 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/26/2012 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
If you own the company, yes. If you're just a clerk, no. Not unless there is an ongoing problem with one particular customer and your boss is willing to back you up.

The various low-paying jobs, whether it's fast food, retail, waiting on tables, CSR, or just dealing with the public, do not offer the option of refusing to wait on someone. I've worked in those jobs, I know other people who work in those jobs, and it doesn't matter if the customer throws books at your head; you cannot announce that you will not deal with someone.

It can be great training for controlling your temper.

So where did you work where you could refuse to deal with customers? Not the furnace repair business, that was your own business. I mean a job where you were paid by a boss to wait on customers.

What hell holes did you work in? I've NEVER worked in a place where if I was physically threatened or assaulted (throw books at head) I couldn't call the police or refuse service, and that includes high school jobs. Heck I run orientation at my current company and we tell our new hires about 10 times "you have the right to feel safe, you will never be in trouble for calling 911 or hitting the panic button, you have every right to say 'I'm sorry but you can't curse at me, call back when you are calmer' and hang up on them, you have every right to say 'I can't wait on you until you are calmer' and walk away from the counter". And these are customers paying thousands, not $10 for lunch.

Seriously any manager who does not put the physical and emotional well-being of his/her employees before the customer doesn't deserve his/her job.

Lara Amber

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869106 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/26/2012 6:14 PM
Seriously any manager who does not put the physical and emotional well-being of his/her employees before the customer doesn't deserve his/her job.

There are managers and directors who don't always believe their staff, and who refuse to back up their employees. And the first library I worked in was one of them. In looking back, it was crazy. Between the bats (they lived in the ceiling, and occasionally fell down) the crack dealers (who came to do their deals when it was raining) and the guy who wrote the district head that I was practicing psychic censorship (I would somehow know when books came in that he wanted, and would hid them from him) I sometimes wonder if I somehow fell down a rabbit hole.

But yes, we stayed our jobs. The area was going through serious unemployment, and the jobs that were better paying involved manufacturing dynamite.

And my story isn't unique (well, except for the bats and the guy who complained about the censorship). There are plenty of managers and bosses who refuse to back up an employee who is struggling with a bad customer.

Nancy
it was a telephone book the guy threw at me, and I ducked so it only hit my shoulder.

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869140 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/27/2012 10:18 PM
My brother happens to work at the store where this occurred. He was in the back, and didn't see the whole thing, but the manager followed the womnan out of the store and punched her several times in the face. Apparently one of the couponers called the manager a name under her breath as she left, prompting the assault.

Couponing or not, shelf clearer or not, there's never an excuse for that. What shocked me most about the entire story is that folllowing a person out and punching them several times is only a misdemeanor.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869143 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/27/2012 11:39 PM
<< Couponing or not, shelf clearer or not, there's never an excuse for that. >>

That's true.

<<What shocked me most about the entire story is that folllowing a person out and punching them several times is only a misdemeanor.>>

It also opens up the business for being sued for the actions of the employee.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869232 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 11/30/2012 10:37 PM
Oh, I wasn't defending the assault, just the initial refusal to accept their coupons.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869856 of 885517
Subject: Re: Extreme couponer ATTACKED Date: 12/24/2012 11:17 PM
There was absolutely nothing in the article referencing that the victim had been to that store. Yes, it does state that she had been to other stores in the same chain, but not that one.

By the manager laying even a finger on her was cause to charge the manager with misdemeanor assault. It is my opinion that the manager needs further training.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement