Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: UTgopher Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8948  
Subject: Re: What a bunch of whiners. Date: 6/21/2004 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
Face facts, Phil Mickeslon. When the going got tough, you choked, Goosen didn't and that is why he beat you. To blame the course is just classless.

I don't think Phil ever blamed the course for his not winning the championship. Also, I don't think Phil choked at all. He birdied three of four holes on the back nine and forced Goosen to make shots on just about every hole.

I personally had an issue (see my previous post) with the fact that Phil was forced to "lag" a four foot putt on the 17th green. I would have preferred green conditions that would have allowed Phil to be aggressive on the putt. The fact he hit a shot from a green side pot bunker to within four feet on the 17th hole of a major championship with all the pressure that entails, says something. My feeling is any player (not just Phil) who can execute that shot should be rewarded with at least an opportunity to go after the putt. If he misses then, it's his own fault.

Now of course, Retief executed an even better bunker save on the same hole. Although it would have been interesting to see how Retief would have done on the bunker shot if the score was still tied at that time rather than having a two shot cushion.

Phil shot the second best score of the day for the entire field - I hardly consider that choking. Phil played well and Retief played well. At the end of the day, they were separated by the same margin they started the day with. Good playing by both. I don't see it as much as Phil choking (as he has done in the past) as it was Retief winning.

FWIW

UTgopher
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement