UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 459769  
Subject: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 36
One of the ongoing concerns about “The Internet” is a loss of privacy. People routinely give out personal and private information without consideration that it might cause a problem. Facebook and the other social networking sites take this to a new level. We all understand that Facebook is immensely popular, particularly with the younger crowd. Apparently, many younger folks put a lot of information on their Facebook pages that is seemingly innocent. We must remember that crooks are always looking for any advantage they can get. Facebook is the latest tool in their toolkit.

This story is one that you could easily label as an “urban legend.” Only problem is that it is a REAL story. We know all of the people in the story. They are great folks from a great family, probably good role models for typical, average Americans. As Joe Friday would say, I have changed the names to protect the innocent. The main players are:

Ashley: Bright, personable Junior in a middle of the US College. High academic achiever, great grades, never had been in any kind of trouble anywhere, liked by all.

Lauren: Ashley’s long time friend and college roommate.

Ashley’s grandparents: Retirees, in their 70’s, living in small town USA, NO SIGN of mental decline. Not tech savvy. Not computer savvy. Love their granddaughter and would do anything to help her.

Friday November 9, 2012 (Edited for the sake of brevity.)

Grandmother receives a phone call: Hi grandmother, this is your oldest granddaughter, Ashley. I have a cold so I do not sound right. I have a problem and need your help. Lauren’s grandmother died and we drove to the funeral in Canada with two boys from school. We got pulled over by the Canadian police because a tail light was out. The police found marijuana in one of the boy’s backpacks. The police do not think I have anything to do with it, but they are going to hold me in jail until it is all straightened out. This is my only phone call, so I called you to ask for your help. Please don’t tell mom and dad, because they will kill me. Please talk to the Canadian policeman.

“Canadian Policeman” gets on the phone with grandmother. We don’t think your granddaughter had anything to do with the marijuana, but we have to hold her until a court hearing. It will be a few weeks, in December. If you want to get her out of jail sooner, you can pay $3,900 today and we will release her immediately.

Grandmother talks to grandfather and they agree to pay the money.

Grandfather gets on the phone with the Canadian policeman to work out details of the money transfer. He is told to send the money to a certain name and phone number, in Panama City, Panama via Money Gram.

Grandpa hangs up the phone and immediately calls the granddaughter’s cell. She does NOT answer because she is in class. Grandpa assumes this is because the Canadian police have her phone and it either will not work or they will not let her answer it. Grandpa locates the nearest Money Gram office, which turns out to be a Wal-Mart. He goes down and gives them $3,900 with the instructions on where to send it.

After doing this, Grandpa comes home and calls Ashley’s father. Her father says this is a scam, you got taken, I will call Ashley to verify she is OK. She eventually called back and was OK and it was a scam.

Father calls grandfather and tells him to check with Wal-Mart to see if the transfer can be cancelled. Wal-Mart said that it can be cancelled as long as the money has not been picked up on the other end. Luckily, it had not been and the grandfather was able to get his money back.

Key to the scam was that the caller knew the granddaughter’s correct name, the roommates correct name, the grandparents name and possibly address. It is not clear how the scammers got the grandparents phone number. Another key was the absence of foreign accents. If the scammers had an Ethiopian or Panamanian or some other foreign accent, it would have been a tip off. In this case, Ashley sounded like a normal US college student. The Canadian Policeman sounded like a normal English speaking Canadian, as opposed to a French speaking Canadian.

There is ZERO proof that the scammers got this information from Ashley’s Facebook page. That is the best guess from the family. Ashley said that all of the information the scammers had could have come from her page.

I had heard of cold calls where someone gets an elderly person and the phone and says something like: “Hi grandma, do you know who this is? It is your grandson. . .” The scammers do NOT know the name of the grandchild. This is the first case I have heard of with so much detailed information which was correct.

Like many things in life: “It could never happen to us” until it does. In this case, it just did. I suspect that a fairly high percentage of grandparents would do exactly the same as Ashley’s did. My guess is if the grandparents said: “We don’t have $3,900” the scammer would have lowered the number until they had a deal. Scammer would say something like: “How much can you come up with in one hour?”

The METAR side: For every cent we make on our investments, it seems there is someone out there trying to get their hands on it.

BOTTOM LINE is that you should be aware of this if you are a grandparent. If you are a child or parent with living grandparents in the family, you should go over this scenario with them and hope it sticks. I am not getting much support for Yoda’s solution, which is to shut down all social network websites, starting with Facebook.

Thanks,

Yodaorange
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SuisseBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408638 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 8
Well, at least this should have rung the alarm bell:

Grandfather gets on the phone with the Canadian policeman to work out details of the money transfer. He is told to send the money to a certain name and phone number, in Panama City, Panama via Money Gram.

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408641 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, it would not have worked on this grandparent. I did get a call like that several years ago asking me to give money to this lawyer to help one of my brothers' sister's daughter.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408642 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 4:27 PM
Recommendations: 4
Well, at least this should have rung the alarm bell:

My thoughts exactly, a Canadian policeman would want cash on the barrel head? OK I made that up. }};-D

I got an email supposedly from my brother-in-law (a Facebook fanatic) who had been mugged at a train station in Spain asking for an immediate transfer of funds to pay for his hotel bill and flight home... since he was on the phone talking to my wife from his home on the Halifax waterfront at the time I got a bit suspicious. }};-D

Any <not on Facebook.... at least I don't think so?> mouse

Author: texirish Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408644 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 5:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
This same scam happened to my first cousin, who is in his 80's and in mental decline. They went to Western Union to send the money, but they wouldn't accept credit card. Went home to get checkbook, and their daugher was fortunately home and stopped the scam.

On a related subject, was talking to a lawyer friend/inlaw a couple of weeks back. The subject of jury duty came up. He said they gather all info possible from social sites and other internet sources on potential jurors to use in the voir dire questioning.

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408660 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 9:28 PM
Recommendations: 5
I actually got an email "from" a well known poster on this site that he was in London, his wallet and passport had been stolen and he needed money desperately (and would I please wire it to him). Knowing that was an extremely unlikely scenario, it made me chuckle in the same fashion that numerous other emails, faxes and phone calls have over the years. That said, my former company was victimized when their name was used in letters requesting credit lines allegedly signed by my wife as CEO (still trying to figure out how they decided on that - could be a clue where they got the data from). As it was interstate, the FBI was brought in.

One thing people should be careful of is having some cousin posting genealogies on the web. As mother's maiden name, father's middle name and stuff like that is regularly used as security questions, there's no reason to feed the answers.

Jeff

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408667 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/15/2012 11:12 PM
Recommendations: 3
I avoid Facebook like the plague, just on general principles.

PM

Author: DufusGoneSplat Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408689 of 459769
Subject: Re: Facebook saga: Don’t be a grandparent Date: 11/16/2012 9:12 AM
Recommendations: 2
Like many things in life: “It could never happen to us” ...

On a similar, yet unrelated vein - over a year ago, my wife and I took her daughter and her SO out to a B-day dinner. Almost immediately she was posting to FB her arrival at dinner. I asked if she realized she was announcing to the world that her house was vacant, and would be for hours. I asked if she realized that metadata on her FB photos could give locations of those photos - like the location of her home. Her response was basically that her friends would never rob her home or take advantage of a situation. Maybe, maybe not, but I can't get her to even consider that her FB could be hacked.

“It could never happen to me.”

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement