Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dlch56 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121333  
Subject: FAFSA, Separated or Married Status Date: 2/13/2000 1:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Caution- sort of lengthy.
I've been lurking & learning a lot, thanks all. Now have a question I haven't seen addressed, exactly. Don't know if it belongs here or the College board, so I'm posting it in both.

I'm in mediation for divorce, separated April 99. Plan to file Married Joint for 99. Seems best way to handle shared expenses & deductions, S.Bond interest, college credits.

1st son will be a Sr in college; 2nd will be a Jr. in H School in the fall. Private college has awarded grants for 2/3 of tuition, with about 1/3 EFC; parents, student earnings, student Stafford loans.

Don't want to jeopardize the fin aid package this last year. I was ready to mail the form, but now I'm confused. I don't know how the fin aid package would be affected if I file taxes as separated, Head/Household. Which would be difficult, since we don't have a legal separation agreement & some issues are still being negotiated.

I've looked at the FAFSA website FAQs and these boards but I don't know how to answer the financial questions on the FAFSA. It seems if I'm filing jointly, I should put status as Married (instructions say "include info for 2 people".

If I'm 'Separated', then I am to include "info for one person". I'm afraid if I put 'Separated' but give financial info for us as 'Married', it will skew the results. If that's correct, I'll give the financials jointly and contact the school Fin Aid Dept to explain "special circumstances". I'm hoping that would be enough to make them understand our financial picture's changed dramatically.

Comments or suggestions? TIA
Regards,
Diane
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement