UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757902  
Subject: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/dollar-388027-trillion-deb...

Do you ever get the feeling America's choo-choo has jumped the tracks? Joe Weisenthal says that the trillion-dollar coin is the most serious adult proposal put forward in our lifetime, "because it gets right to the nature of what is money." As Weisenthal argues, "We're still shackled with a gold-standard mentality where we think of money as a scarce natural resource that we need to husband carefully." Ha! Every time it rains it rains trillion-dollar pennies from heaven. I believe Robert Mugabe made a similar observation on Jan. 16, 2009, when he introduced Zimbabwe's first one hundred-trillion-dollar bank note. In that one dramatic month, the Zimbabwean dollar declined from 0.0000000072 of a U.S. dollar to 0.0000000003 of a U.S. dollar. But that's what's so great about being American. Because, when you're American, one U.S. dollar will always be worth one U.S. dollar, no matter how many trillion-dollar coins you mint. Eat your heart out, you Zimbabwean losers. As Joe Weisenthal asks, what is money? Money is American: everybody knows that.

Whether the world feels this way is another matter. For Paul Krugman, the issue is the insanity of the Republican Party, as manifested in their opposition to automatic debt-ceiling increases. By contrast, the contrarian Democrat Mickey Kaus thinks Republicans ought to be in favor of the trillion-dollar coin as an easy short term-fix to prevent them from getting screwed over by Obama and the media for the second time in a month. But, out there, in what the State Department maps quaintly call the rest of the world, nobody cares about Democrats or Republicans, and the issue is not the debt ceiling but the debt. Forty-four nations voted at Bretton Woods to make the dollar the world's reserve currency. If they were meeting today, I doubt they'd give that status to a nation piling on over a trillion in federal debt per year, 70 percent of which its left hand (the U.S. Treasury) borrows from its right hand (the Federal Reserve) through the Nigerian email equivalent of Paul Krugman's trillion-dollar groat.

Meanwhile, I see the Bundesbank has decided to move 300 tons of German gold from the Federal Reserve in New York back to Frankfurt. It's probably nothing. And what's to stop the Fed replacing it with 300 tons of Boston Cream donuts and declaring them of equivalent value? Or maybe 300 imaginary dead football girlfriends, all platinum blondes.

Memo to John Boehner and Paul Ryan: No one will take you seriously until you find some photogenic second-graders and read out their cute letters. "I want everybody to be happy and safe and fithcally tholvent." They may have to practice.
------------------------------------------------------
Sad but true, in a world of children an adult can be real downer.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667160 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 5:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
They've found Manti Te'o's girlfriend on a nude beach.
Warning: Not Safe for Work!

http://www.dmsarch.com/posting/beach.jpg

~aj

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667161 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 0
Clint Eastwood was seen hitting on Manti's girlfriend.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667163 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 5:55 PM
Clint Eastwood was seen hitting on Manti's girlfriend.

Ewwwwww, I knew the kid had problems but a girlfriend who would sit in Obama's lap, now I do feel sorry for him

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667164 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 5:56 PM
LOL! Good one.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667165 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 6:07 PM
I'm a die-hard Notre Dame fan but these 3 are the funniest (from a previous post):

1. "Win one for The Fibber"

2. "Make up the Echoes"

3. "Pretend Like A Champion Today"

There are some inconsistencies in Manti's explanation. He's hired a profession PR guy. More and more ND students want to hear from him. The PR guy will probably have him write up something rather than make a statement or hold a press conference.

I'd like to know the truth.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667168 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 6:18 PM
He's hired a profession PR guy. More and more ND students want to hear from him.

Too bad. So sad.

If Manti was smart, he'd never utter another word about this incident for the remainder of his career--if EVER again.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667169 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 6:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'd like to know the truth.

I am guessing so would Manti

He got lost in some fantasy world. The truth is only what was going on in his mind

We are talking the middle linebacker for Notre Dame a Heisman candidate a good looking kid and about to be a mulch-millionaire -- and he could not come up with a date?

Maybe he is gay and the culture at Notre Dame made him create some crazy story that he got caught up in, kids and peer pressure can be hell. It is going to be something stupid and unnecessary whatever it eventually is, but even when/if we get to the truth I think it is going to be too weird to believe.

I really just wish the kid well, I truly hope something stupid he did at 21? does not ruin his life -- even the best of kids do some really stupid stuff sometimes and he really did not hurt anyone or do any harm it was a huge mountainous little white lie.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667171 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 6:52 PM
that reminds me, I haven't said anything about my boyfriend I met online recently, he sure is hot looking and he says he loves me.

picture to follow.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667173 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 7:09 PM
We are talking the middle linebacker for Notre Dame a Heisman candidate a good looking kid and about to be a mulch-millionaire -- and he could not come up with a date?

The internet is rife with stories about men and women who have gotten wrapped up with someone they "met" on the internet.

Heck, this board of people who with a few exceptions haven't met each other is proof of that.

"Catfishing"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish

The word comes from this true story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667174 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 7:19 PM
The internet is rife with stories about men and women who have gotten wrapped up with someone they "met" on the internet.

None of them are celebrities at the top of their popularity and about to become very very rich.

This one does not make any sense at all, there is some outside thing that is not being considered, don't know what it is, but have no doubt this is not an innocent mistake

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667175 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 7:37 PM
"We are talking the middle linebacker for Notre Dame a Heisman candidate a good looking kid and about to be a mulch-millionaire -- and he could not come up with a date?"

Here's Der Fuhrer's take on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d...

~aj

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667180 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 8:51 PM
None of them are celebrities at the top of their popularity and about to become very very rich.

So?

Why must celebrities bear the harsh scrutiny and prurient interest of the public-at-large? I'm listening to the news in the background. The breathless droning of one newscaster after another is downright sociopathic. They're calling on body language and voice analysis experts to "get to the bottom of this bizarre--[media's favorite word]--story!" "Strange!" "Weird!" "Bizarre!" "Freak!"

Leave the guy alone. All anyone should care about is how well he defends the quarterback--or whatever it is he does on the football field.

No wonder tabloids* thrive. Sheesh.

* Generoso Pope acquired the New York Enquirer in 1952 for $75,000. In 1954, Pope revamped the format from a broadsheet to a tabloid, and renamed it The National Enquirer. Pope worked tirelessly throughout the 1950s and 1960s to increase the circulation of the Enquirer. In the late 50s and through to 1967, it was known for its gory and unsettling headlines and stories such as: "I Cut Out Her Heart and Stomped On It" (Sept. 8, 1963)--the true story of the April 1963 mutilation murder of former Olympic Skier Sonja McCaskie--and "Mom Boiled Her Baby and Ate Her" (1962). At this time the paper was sold on newsstands and drugstores only, as the gory headlines would not have been allowed in family supermarkets. Pope stated he got the idea for the format and these gory stories from seeing people congregate around auto accidents. After 1967, Pope tempered the use of gory headlines so the tabloid could be sold in a more family-friendly environment such as supermarket check-out lines. This new sales strategy proved to be a huge boon for sales; single-copy sales of some issues (e.g. Elvis in his coffin) peaked above six million in the 1970s. Source: Wiki

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667182 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 9:10 PM
Why must celebrities bear the harsh scrutiny and prurient interest of the public-at-large?

Because they choose a life that has outsized rewards based on being in the view of the public at large.

IT is easy to not be a celebrity, if that bothers you. Why do sanitation workers work with garbage? It is the nature of the choices they make.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667184 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/18/2013 9:31 PM
Because they choose a life that has outsized rewards based on being in the view of the public at large.

So it's not enough that they're talented in their field of endeavor? They must withstand the gawking of strangers as if they were monkeys in a zoo? That makes NO sense.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667204 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/19/2013 7:40 AM
So it's not enough that they're talented in their field of endeavor? They must withstand the gawking of strangers as if they were monkeys in a zoo? That makes NO sense.

That is what they choose to be.

The field they endeavor to be the best in, is one where you parade yourself around in front of the public and in exchange the public throws money at you. It is not like the rules changed in what they do.

People live vicariously through their public figures. Do you think the skill of throwing a football 60 yards while a 300 pound man is draped on your shoulders and hitting a moving target is really worth anything? What value does it provide? It entertains, they are far better at it, and amazingly skilled, but truly if you want to break it down to its' core component it is not much different than your monkey in a zoo, though to me that seems a demeaning and mean analogy it is reasonably accurate.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667459 of 757902
Subject: Re: Fake dead Girlfriends and Fake Debt Limits Date: 1/20/2013 11:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Why must celebrities bear the harsh scrutiny and prurient interest of the public-at-large?

Because people like to gossip. And which is more fun: Gossiping about a celebrity, or gossiping about a nobody?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement