UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31191  
Subject: fall garden Date: 8/12/2012 5:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
i planted peas, green beans, radishes, lettuce, and swiss chard today. i might be pushing it here in northern indiana but we will see!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30311 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/12/2012 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was at Home Depot today looking for seeds to plant. Not a one to be found. %( I wanted garlic in particular. Guess I'll try sproting garlic instead.

I also wanted to find out about planting real sweet potatoes, not yams. All the on-line sites I checked said they won't ship to California. Anyone know why?

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30312 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/12/2012 7:43 PM
Recommendations: 2
All the on-line sites I checked said they won't ship to California. Anyone know why?

California is very protective of their agricultural industry. I remember driving into California from Arizona back in 1963 on Route 66 and being met at the border by a California Agricultural Inspection agent who checked the car for produce and confiscated my last tomato from the cooler. They were more thorough than the U.S. Customs agents at the border in Nogales.
;-(

Most out of state sites probably would have to have a special inspector licensed by California on staff to inspect nursery items that are not banned just to be able to ship to California and they couldn’t justify the added expense. You might check on-line sites with a California home address. For Asian vegetable seeds, I use http://www.kitazawaseed.com/index.php . For real sweet potatoes, you might contact your local Agricultural Extension Service agent and axe him how to propagate them if you can get one or two from a market. For garlic, I usually just buy a few heads of garlic at the grocery/market and plant some of the larger cloves.
;-)

C.J.V. - I would also try the local nursery/garden stores instead of the big-box chain stores, me

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30316 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/22/2012 1:28 AM
Recommendations: 2
http://site.outdora.com/blog/growing-sweet-potatoes-2080.htm...

Trying my hand at sweet potatoes this year - should be ready for harvest around Halloween! :)

LJ

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30317 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/23/2012 10:35 AM
Cool!
that might be fun to try for next year.

Can I grow them in VT?

hmmmm, better check it out.

Author: hamsmyname Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30318 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/23/2012 10:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Red Wagon Plants in Hinesburg hands out this info:

http://www.burlingtongardens.org/Sweet.potato.directions.pdf...

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30319 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/24/2012 11:57 AM
thanks for the link and info
Red Wagon Plants in Hinesburg hands out this info:

http://www.burlingtongardens.org/Sweet.potato.directions.pdf......

think I'll put this on my try to grow list for next year.

Author: LutherKrank One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30320 of 31191
Subject: Re: fall garden Date: 8/30/2012 3:27 PM
There must be a way to get sweet potatoes to California, a little town called Livingston about 15 miles up the road is kinda like the capital of sweet potatoes. I think they grow most of the sweet potatoes in the Western US. Sweet potato fries, which are delicious and I now see everywhere must be making these guys smile.... I work for a farming operation, so will check out where the growers get their stock.

Luther

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement